Are We the “No Vacation” Nation?

How many vacation days did you take in 2015?

• No vacation days

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Less than 5 days

Votes: 22 16.3%
  • 6-10 days

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • 11-20 days

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • More than 20 days

Votes: 45 33.3%

• Total voters

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
This sounds crazy to me, but a new survey says 40% of Americans took no vacation days in 2015.

This is the breakdown of American workers’ use of vacation time in 2015, based on the Skift survey of more than 2,000 workers:
• No vacation – 40.5%
• Less than five days – 17.4%
• Between five and 10 days – 14.8%
• Between 10 and 20 days – 14.4%
• More than 20 days – 12.9%

This makes me curious about how much vacation time forum members took last year. So here’s a new poll: How many vacation days (not including traditional holidays) did you take in 2015?

I fall into that 11-20 days myself, and hope to again in 2016. Definitely like having time off/vacations to look forward to, and believe it helps me focus better both before and after the break. I don’t always 100% disconnect from work when on vacation, but try to when possible.

Independent agents typically have a lot of discretion about how much they work and how much time they take off, but the choice obviously has a direct impact on income. Sure it's tougher for newer, less-established agents to take any time off while veterans can manage to do so without creating financial hardships, but is taking NO vacation ever a wise choice?

Last edited:
In my early years I took fewer days just because financially I wasn't in a position to take more. As my income increased I had to start making myself take time off. I had gotten in a habit of working without much time off and it felt weird to do so.

Now I usually take a couple of trips per year. One to somewhere like Florida for a week or so and another bigger trip. I also have "stay-cation" time throughout the year. Like after AEP I generally take 2-3 weeks off. It's not completely free of work, but I'm not focusing on business too much during that time. Then there are the days of golf throughout the spring, summer and fall.

I took about 8 weeks, this year will be more. Though I always check up on sales while on vacation as well as marketing, but for me my work is like play. So it's tough for me to personally define vacation as it's all about lifestyle design for myself and my family.

I did start reorganizing and purposely setting up my business to be run by a phone if needed about 3 years ago. When I began I thought I wanted the biggest, baddest agency and an office full of happy people. Then I realized that meant I had to show up most days myself. :nah:

So I took Brian Tracy's advice literally when he says "Define what will give you peace of mind, and build your life around that."

For me, it's freedom.

This sounds crazy to me, but a new survey says 40% of Americans took no vacation days in 2015. This is the breakdown of American workers' use of vacation time in 2015, based on the Skift survey of more than 2,000 workers: o No vacation - 40.5% o Less than five days - 17.4% o Between five and 10 days - 14.8% o Between 10 and 20 days - 14.4% o More than 20 days - 12.9% This makes me curious about how much vacation time forum members took last year. So here's a new poll: How many vacation days (not including traditional holidays) did you take in 2015? I fall into that 11-20 days myself, and hope to again in 2016. Definitely like having time off/vacations to look forward to, and believe it helps me focus better both before and after the break. I don't always 100% disconnect from work when on vacation, but try to when possible. Independent agents typically have a lot of discretion about how much they work and how much time they take off, but the choice obviously has a direct impact on income. Sure it's tougher for newer, less-established agents to take any time off while veterans can manage to do so without creating financial hardships, but is taking NO vacation ever a wise choice?

I believe in working hard and vacationing harder!

Europe, Mexico, Thailand, Turks & Caicos all these vacations in less than 10 months time.

Helps to recharge my battery :)

Last edited:
Last year was the first year I took a "big" trip and a couple smaller ones with my family. We drove about 2200 miles from NC to Canada and back. We called it "the great trek North." That was about 20 days. My laptop is always with me. In Canada I did some work early in the morning.

When I started on my own, I wanted freedom like Bevo mentioned. I can run my business with a phone, internet access, and my laptop.

I meet a guy at a training meeting who ran his entire business from a tablet/keyboard set up. Ran his google voice number through it. Very slick.

lol this poll makes insurance agents look lazy compared to the rest of the population. the results are coming out to be the exact opposite of the survey that Brian is quoting...

If you want to talk about how much time I work? When most people are at home watching junk on tv, I am in front of my laptop working or researching. Also, does the every day guy carry his laptop/office with him on vacation? Does he get up at 6 am to check emails and apps? Doubt it. My vacations have a lot of work in them.

When I went out on my own, another broker told me "great, you can work half days now...just pick which 12 hours you want to work and go for it."

So true.

lol this poll makes insurance agents look lazy compared to the rest of the population. the results are coming out to be the exact opposite of the survey that Brian is quoting...

If I had been asked this question early on in my career, I would have answered completely different. I took little to no vacation. And when I did, all I thought about was how much it was costing me and I wasn't making any money while I was on vacation.

I may be lazy now, but I certainly wasn't in the beginning. And I'm definitely not during AEP. I think I've earned my "laziness". :yes:

Latest posts

Back