What is the Best Company for a Long Term Career?

Advisor06

Guru
100+ Post Club
These are the three I am currently considering. Many people tell me to just go independent but I feel I still need support and a "brand" behind me to grow my business. What do you think and why?

New York Life?
Liberty Mutual?
Guardian?

Any others that you may have experience with?

I doubt there's a company out there that you could join and people would want to sit down with you and talk... just because you're with XYZ company. That means that the value that YOU bring to the relationship... is worth FAR more than the name on your business card.

That being said... I know that there are various limitations with NYL as far as the products you're allowed to sell (similar restrictions at MassMutual as I just spoke with a prominent agent with them today). I don't know enough about Liberty Mutual, except that it's a P&C focus.

Of the three you listed, I'd pick Guardian. They seem to be the most 'progressive' in their thinking. You can offer their "indexed interest crediting rider" on their whole life. I don't think there's any limitations on selling IUL or FIAs with other companies. While I haven't heard great things about their B/D (old information), I think I'd pick that environment anyway. Plus, you can leave the career agency and still service your fixed insurance business that you sold.

They may not be as regimented as NYL is (by reputation), they probably have the flexibility that you'd appreciate over the long-term.

These are the three I am currently considering. Many people tell me to just go independent but I feel I still need support and a "brand" behind me to grow my business. What do you think and why? New York Life? Liberty Mutual? Guardian? Any others that you may have experience with?

The only "brands" that the mass general public has ever heard of are State Farm, Allstate, Met Life, Prudential, AFLIC, etc.

Some but not all have heard of Mutual of Omaha, Farmers, Farm Bureau, TransAmerica.

When it comes to the general public that aren't that interested in the financial world and you say the names Guardian, Liberty Mutual, Northwestern Mutual, you will just see blank stares coming in your direction. If you say Ohio National, New York Life, or Cincinnati Life they kind of think they might have heard of them. But that's because they've heard of the city/state and it sounds familiar.

There are very few people that any of these brands will be the key to opening doors for you.

To the mass general public Colonial Penn is as good or better than New York Life as far as they know.

At least that's my take on it.

These are the three I am currently considering. Many people tell me to just go independent but I feel I still need support and a "brand" behind me to grow my business. What do you think and why?

New York Life?
Liberty Mutual?
Guardian?

I remember when I worked with Prudential and my manager used to tell people that if Prudential went under the world would be in chaos.

Two hurricanes, a huge fine, and then they go public, sell off their assets and shoot they don't even offer a traditional whole life contract anymore.

My friend who is still there through all of that had his contract changed several times as well.

The point is and DHK is right, this is a people business and people buy you. There is no long term any more except for that which you control.

All that matters is can you sell? If you can and you have a decent product with a good rated company you can count on, you'll be fine no matter which route you go.

In the short term, maybe one of those companies might be better but who knows about down the road. A lot can happen.

Good luck on your choice and keep us posted! Once you make your decision run with it and don't look back!

New York Life?
Liberty Mutual?
Guardian?

Of these three my pick would be Guardian but you should also consider Mass Mutual. However NYL probably has the best training. In the long run the company is not important. You and you alone will determine whether you fail or succeed. If you learn how to sell you become your own boss and you can sell any company you choose to.

These are the three I am currently considering. Many people tell me to just go independent but I feel I still need support and a "brand" behind me to grow my business. What do you think and why? New York Life? Liberty Mutual? Guardian? Any others that you may have experience with?

I think you need to decide what is best for personality and skill set for you between life or P&C. Liberty life product is no where near as good or commissions as the other 2. The other 2 don't do P&C... Now P&C is easier to get started w/ but may not be your cup of tea.

fmintar1 there have been many debates in this forum about companies such as Lincoln Heritage, Primerica, NAA, World Financial Group and maybe a couple of others. But post about any of those mentioned and get ready. Just do a forum search on WFG.

If you have never heard of Guardian I will assume your may be new to the industry. So be forewarned. These posters can be brutal but if WFG is your home stay strong and just take it as a learning experience on how to overcome objections.

Just understand there is no perfect company and not all things are for all people. The two biggest issues you will probably get hit with from these experienced folks are the MLM aspect and product compensation.

So bone up on compensation and read and understand your Agent agreement.

Back