What Has Been the Biggest Surprise to You Throughout Your Insurance Career?

Liz

Guru
100+ Post Club
Has it been the types of clients you get, the returns, the positives, or the negatives? Something else?

How easy it is.

What really amazed me in the beginning was how much information people will give a total stranger.

People freely giving up their info to a complete stranger was a shocker. I remember one of my first presentations, I was doing a fact finder and timidly asked the lady how much money she had in savings and she gave me hell. Needless to say I have found easier ways to ask for information that I need.

People freely giving up their info to a complete stranger was a shocker. I remember one of my first presentations, I was doing a fact finder and timidly asked the lady how much money she had in savings and she gave me hell. Needless to say I have found easier ways to ask for information that I need.

Not only that. The more grief they give you over giving you the information, the less likely they are to buy.

Has it been the types of clients you get, the returns, the positives, or the negatives? Something else?

Many years ago I had a small employer group health plan on a local business
The business paid for the employees health ins but the employee paid for their dependents coverage. The employee had deducted the employee premium ( one employee had a spouse with serious cancer treatments) and then didn't pay the premium and the plan lapsed.
I helped get this case reinstated by using whatever clout with the insurance company I could use. (Serious liability for the employer if the coverage was lapsed). I was successful in getting the coverage reinstated and helped get the claims paid. Then within six months I lost the case to another agent for a lower premium or such. No calls for me to shop-nothing. My eyes were opened to the fact that people, at least for the large part, are not loyal to you. And mostly are motivated by price-greed. Or whatever

lessons learned the hard way are the best ones!

Latest posts

Back