What kind of insurance do you have on yourself

Melmunch3 said:
It is hard to bear in mind as an independent agent, but it really isn't about price.

A marketing guru taught me to never sell on price, because someone out there will always go lower. There is definitely some truth to that.

Organizations like NASE and others sell on price. They make sure the plan is designed to undercut whatever the last guy placed them with and then tell them the "horrible pitfalls" of a real major medical plan.

Price should be just one factor in the sales process.

Kyle, I have one word about joining BNI.

DON'T

You will get everyone's neighbor/best friend/prospect who has Type II Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, and Arthritic Gout.

By giving you these people, they will meet their quota, and you will keep getting frustrated, while they're able to turn your leads into business, and all you can do is offer a Discount Card.

With a Chiropractor, all you need is money to pay for the adjustments.
With an Advertising Agent, all you need is money in petty cash for pens, calendars, etc. to be printed and handed out.

It's much easier for a lead you give them to qualify to use/get their service. Not so coming back to you.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, WARNING, WARNING!

The Financial Planner, or CPA is going to get the leads you need. The reason you'll be told is that it is for Financial services, not health, but you can have them later (yeah, right).

The reason BNI loves Insurance guys (so do all other leads groups), is that everyone knows someone who is obese, diabetic, clinically depressed, or has muscoskeletal problems, and they just can't wait to give you these "time wasters" to meet their leads goals.

Ask them how long the last insurance agent lasted. Ask to speak with that person, to get the story straight from the horses mouth.

Ooops, one other lead you will get is someone who is on 8 meds for three problems.
Was a dues paying member of BNI for around rwo years. Did not develope a single sale out of it so I quit.

One interesting thing I have noticed when speaking with insurance agents is the ignorance many of us have for insurance products that we do not sell. Personally, I have Allstate for my homeowners insurance. I never really priced it around, I just walked into their office and bought it. I was recently thinking how silly that is. I know how varied the insurance prices can be in health and life, so why wouldn't I be more rational about shopping around the other insurances I hold.

I have Geico for auto and I have been very happy. However, I never tried to shop that around either. I just asked a few people when I bought my car, and went with their recommendation.

I think that that is an interesting insight into referrals. It is hard to bear in mind as an independent agent, but it really isn't about price. It is about trusting people and relationships. This is something that I am working on with my referrals. Instead of telling accountants about how I have access to the cheapest products and I have the knowledge to save them and their clients money, I need to focus on conveying my honesty and my integrity. The accountants who trust me are always sending people to me, even when they don't have a need for any specific product. They know that they will only get recommendations that serve their best interests. Others, who I tried to impress with my product range and prices, are less willing to send people to me.

Do any of you make decisions about your other insurances based on recommendations and not on price. (For equal service) How do you get professional referrers to actively help you instead of waiting until someone mentions something?
Have had mine with state Farm (home and auto) for at least 25 years. Have never shopped it around.

Have had mine with state Farm (home and auto) for at least 25 years. Have never shopped it around.

I've had Farm Bureau for probably 14 years after Geico cancelled my home for roof that eventually needed replacing. I've shopped my rates a few times, but honestly.. no one's been competitive enough to change.

Funny, as I credit BNI for helping me launch my biz back in 2004. I took the place of another agent in my office that had zero sales from the same BNI chapter.

I probably got 30 policies in my first year from BNI. Sure, some were bad leads, but got to get through the bad to find the good.

I've had Farm Bureau for probably 14 years after Geico cancelled my home for roof that eventually needed replacing. I've shopped my rates a few times, but honestly.. no one's been competitive enough to change.
I’ve had Farm Bureau for both home and auto for 17 years. I’ve been extremely happy with the way they’ve always handled claims, and I’ve had several. I never check other rates because I don’t care. Farm Bureau has served me well, so I see no need to switch.

Why on earth would I sign up for BNI? If I need more business (which I don't) I would just call up one of my auto repair clients that recently filed a claim and was well taken care of. I'll ask him about who he told about my great service, and I'll work my way up to asking to be referred to them. I'll ask about the two repair shops up the street, if I can introduce myself to them. I'll ask about who he uses for tires, body work, smog, etc. Then ask for referrals. Then I'll ask about anyone he can think of that might be interested in talking to me. Then I'll show him a list of the 20 nearest large auto repair shops nearby and ask to be referred to the ones he knows.

Every once in a while I'll strike out, but with an established happy client like that I'll get anywhere one the low end of 1-3 referrals all the way up to 12 or 13 referrals. I think my record is something like 15 on one visit, and that was a brand new client. Yes is can be done even on a new client, and I'm not even that good at it.

I’ve had Farm Bureau for both home and auto for 17 years. I’ve been extremely happy with the way they’ve always handled claims, and I’ve had several. I never check other rates because I don’t care. Farm Bureau has served me well, so I see no need to switch.
That is the way I am with State Farm.. Had several losses on the auto insurance. Couple of times they paid more than I thought the car was worth.

Back