What Kind Would You Sell

txh

what would you suggest. Starting from home as indy with little to no experience. Which form of insurance is best suited for this without having to gain all of the cluster with their extensive requirements or franchises with their high fees. Is their a form that is more suited for gaining carrier access given the situation? Thanks in advance for the help.

What part of TX are you in?

I'm relatively new too. I've got my P&C general lines and Life/Health general lines and recently left a captive agency. I prefer to work for myself but not necessarily by myself (i.e. I like a team).

I've been looking at FEX as a possibility but I'm still in the early shopping around phase.

what would you suggest. Starting from home as indy with little to no experience. Which form of insurance is best suited for this without having to gain all of the cluster with their extensive requirements or franchises with their high fees. Is their a form that is more suited for gaining carrier access given the situation? Thanks in advance for the help.

I started as an indy 6 years ago without any experience and I was also told that I had no shot. MELARCHY!!!

1. Do not go into this with a plan B. It will be way to easy to give up on plan A

2. Don't go into credit card debt by buying leads, joining associations, buying equipment, etc. Most people do fail out and the people that own these places know that but they already have your money, and you are out of business and they are rich. Create your own leads for little to nothing.. I bought all of my original office equipment off of Ebay used, and cheap.

3. Sell what you love. It took me a bit to figure it out, but I did and now I am making an awesome living.

4. Stay off of this forum as much as possible;Too many turds floating around the pool that will bring you down. There are a lot of good ones too but the turds stink up the water. The good ones have helped me tremendously.

5. Remember this motto! WHEN YOU KNOW, AND YOU KNOW YOU KNOW, CONFIDENCE REPLACES FEAR. If you want to get over the fear of selling learn your products well. Even a bad salesperson can make a living in this business.

6. Learn to cold call!!!! It's free and you're not in debt. Later you can get to where you can quit doing it, or slow down a bit.

7. Tell your naysayers to go screw themselves.

8. Work all day. Don't be getting ready for work all day. Just because you're dressed up doesn't mean you are working.

Start enjoying life. This job can may life a dream. I am a paramedic, volunteer with one squad and get paid at another. I am in the process of testing to become a part-time flight paramedic. This is all because I am in the insurance business. You can enjoy your life too.

Last edited:
It's rare that anyone starts indy and remains in business - or even sells the same products.

You might start in Medicare and after finding out that you can't do that move into P&C. But the odds are VERY long.

Rick

Thanks For The positive and helpful feedback dwayne. I've realized this forum will basically just try to bring you down and is full of @moonlightandmargaritas that couldn't tie their shoes by themselves with a few exceptions. I as well will be going in with no plan b and am in the process of getting everything lined out. Just trying to figure out the best route and product for starting from home as I will be. Thanks again!

Thanks For The positive and helpful feedback dwayne. I've realized this forum will basically just try to bring you down and is full of @moonlightandmargaritas that couldn't tie their shoes by themselves with a few exceptions. I as well will be going in with no plan b and am in the process of getting everything lined out. Just trying to figure out the best route and product for starting from home as I will be. Thanks again!

Be careful who's star you hitch your wagon to. I don't always agree with M&M's delivery, but his message is on point. GreenSky said basically the same thing. I've been in insurance / financial services for 35 years and agree with both of them. And I don't shoehorn in a little insurance work between two other jobs. It's my career.

The bottom line is that if you want a fighting chance in this industry, start in a captive environment that allows you to learn some basics. You can go independent later if you want to.

Here's a handy tip: start practicing "would you like fries with that?"

Two or three success stories and 97 failures out of every 100 attempts is the reality.
Your plan of selling P&C "from home" is a flawed one at best.
Find a local P&C shop and get a salary + bonus situation and learn all you can. After a few years, you might be tempted to step your toe into the indy waters. More likely though, you'll change professions.
The stats bear this out. Of course, you can be that 3% like VADwayne but he's an anomaly.

it just seems like everyone is into giving opposite feedback. If you say your going captive- here comes everyone bashing you for going captive and say your going indy and then the other way around if you reverse it. I understand the high fail rate, I own 2 restaurants which is also a very high fail rate but I have been at it for 11 years and haven't failed yet. From what I see insurance has a high fail rate because it takes about 2 hours to pass a test and get appointed so its every persons go to when they lose their job until they find another one- or they simply don't have the funds necessary to hold themselves thru the start. I have the income to pay my way thru any training I need and to live on for a year plus if need be. It will not be part-time..one of my restaurants is in the process of selling with a closing date of march 5th. The other my wife will run and I will succeed at the insurance route regardless of the fail rate or what anyone says. If anyone would like to answer the initial question from this post then I would greatly appreciate it. If your only interested in quoting fail rates and negativity, keep it to yourself and keep using that as an excuse for your failing when times aren't great, but I will look for the positive. Thanks

Latest posts

Back