What Are the Most Common Insurance Agency Marketing Mistakes?

Asnoa123

Hi guys, I am new to this Insurance industry. I just wanna ask what are those common mistakes that Insurance Agency Marketing mistakes that usually happens so I could not totally avoid but minimize those.

Thanks

Not prospecting enough, waiting for prospects to come to you, not enough cross selling, avoiding the millenial tidal wave, yellow pages are dead, social media use, working harder and smarter than all your competition.

Maybe we can get some dialogue going now.

All good thoughts. I'm sure others will provide useful info also.

Of course, no single strategy is right for all. In the beginning, focus on learning and applying one strategy at time. It is too easy to get overwhelmed. Get comfortable with it, assess your success from it. Keep refining it or move onto the next strategy that might prove effective. Then you might want to employ multiple strategies.

Spend your marketing budget money wisely by asking other agents what has been successful for them. A lot of people on these forums are willing to share their constructive thoughts.

There are a lot of companies out there that will promise you great results but in the end, you may find that they sold you on a dream.

1. Agents needs to realize this is a business, they are not just an insurance agent. They are a business owner, and business owners invest a ton of time and money into their businesses to make them successful.
  2. Facebook is not the cure to your marketing woes.
  3. SEO is a dream realized by the very few willing to put in the work. Using a SEO Firm rarely works out.
  4. Agents need to better manage their cash flow. Don't blow your big commission on something stupid, invest some of it back into marketing, especially into learning a new marketing method or source.
  5. The best lead is the one you generate.

I agree with Gulliver.

In fact, I'll take it a step further and say that my outlook is that I'm in the lead generation business. lol.

Now different agents generate those leads in different ways- some buy them, some hire it out and some try to do it on their own...But the result is the same. If you aren't having quote opportunities, you don't have opportunity period.

Have the computer and Google be your friend.

Every new worker I have them learn to type fast...touch type...this allows you to see the screen at all times..

If you are working in front of a PC. It is a needed skill...all your answers and deals are on Google.

A number of the posts have talked about leads and lead generation but in my humble opinion before you start marketing you need to put together a good business model for both the short and long term. Also, and this a huge mistake that both new agents and agents wanting to start their own agency make is, they come in undercapitalized. Meaning they run out of money! Make sure you have allocated enough money in your marketing budget for leads, advertising, etc. Also include a miscellaneous expense and ad X% for the uncertainties or unknown. They always seem to pop up. Also, customer service is key. If you take care of your client, your client will take care of you, meaning referring people to you. Which is the best kind of marketing and positively impacts your acquisition costs.

Marketing mistakes would be:

Dishonest or misleading marketing. For some people it works but be upfront. It will save you time, headaches, and generate a better quality lead.

Wrong target markets or wrong marketing method to target market. Pick the right method when marketing to certain target markets. For example, don't send final expense mailers to young people.

Don't be too salesy in your marketing. Sure you will get responses but people get turned off. Offer people something of value while still being upfront. Free information about the product your marketing or something & market benefits of the product or how the product can solve their problem and not so much the product. Be clever but honest in the marketing. Don't be too salesy. Find that balance.

Trying too many different types of marketing while not having one consistent thing going. Unless your loaded you will run out of cash and you will waste money while you could have been making money. Find a marketing that works first or at least earns you money, than master it, than go and try other methods while still doing that.

Don't reinvent the wheel. Some marketing methods are tried and true for your market. Do that one in the beginning then be innovative and try to find new ones.

That being said missing out on opportunities is another mistake. A lot of insurance success can be about time and chance. If you here facebook leads for example is a new opportunity that is showing signs of success, try it. If you see an agent share an idea that's working for them inquire about it.

Lastly having too little dollars. A lot of insurance agents fail because they don't have income to keep them afloat while they find their groove or they take too long to find a groove with the marketing budget they got. Either have a huge budget upfront or find a marketing method that works quickly with the budget you have. This probably should have been first mistake but hopefully you get the idea.

Last edited:
Not prospecting enough, waiting for prospects to come to you, not enough cross selling, avoiding the millenial tidal wave, yellow pages are dead, social media use, working harder and smarter than all your competition.

Maybe we can get some dialogue going now.

Not using a great CRM like Spiro to automate your sales efforts.

Back