When Asked "What Company You Are With"

0b1kanobee

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have had the question asked "what company are you with" several times and I really haven't had a good answer for them, at least what I thought was the best answer I could give a prospect and it is mainly because I am an independent agent and not really associated with any agency or one single carrier. I guess the 'best' answer I could give them would be an agency name IMO but I dunno.

I usually respond with "I'm an independent agent and I represent several companies. This allows me the freedom and flexibility to offer what I think are the best products and together we can make intelligent decisions without being locked into one company or one choice." I have thought about then asking the prospect right then, "do you like the idea of having choices"? (I imagine they would say yes in which I can start moving forward also giving me control of the conversation).

Anyway, I still seem to get folks who insist upon knowing what company I am with, usually it is some secretary/gate keeper who is probably writing on a message paper. Sometimes it is someone I'm calling because I was referred to them and they were told I would be calling.

So having no company name or agency name I sorta feel this is a problem perhaps. I also do not have a website. I'm not looking for any "because that is the feeling I'm having I'm conscientiously projecting this image" stuff either. Another words because I believe it to be true it is. This is actually a problem and I see it becoming a bigger one when I start prospecting to a greater extent.

So is anyone else running into this? Did anyone solve this by implementing a company name or adding a website? Maybe I'm just :goofy:

One guy I know has an agency name on some fliers he made up and I asked him about it. He said he just made it up, that he didn't actually have an agency name. :no:

"I represent companies like..." and then I name off a few of the major names.

I've also had toyed with saying "I represent Anthem Blue Cross" or who ever I know has the best rate in their area. If there is some objection to that particular company I counter by saying "I mostly market Anthem because they're currently the most competitive in California, but I'm also happy to get you quotes for xxx."

I have had the question asked "what company are you with" several times and I really haven't had a good answer for them, at least what I thought was the best answer I could give a prospect and it is mainly because I am an independent agent and not really associated with any agency or one single carrier. I guess the 'best' answer I could give them would be an agency name IMO but I dunno.

dude really......the response is " I am licensed with all the company's that have the best rate's....I work for you and not any one company and I do not get paid until you get the best rate for your situation so thats why I have to offer everyone that is going to give you the best underwriting and rate.......so let me get some information to see what company is going to give you the best rate......."

Last edited:
Don't over think this.

"I'm an independent agent with Joe's Pizza and Insurance Services" (your agency name, or your name followed by Insurance Services). We represent all major insurance carriers, such as Anthem Blue Cross, HealthNet, Aetna, Kaiser (or whatever).

You are your company. You represent you (in this context). Be proud of that. Say it like you are proud of it and be happy!

Dan

i havent got past the comment, I dont have a website....

WTF

dude really......the response is " I am licensed with all the company's that have the best rate's....I work for you and not any one company and I do not get paid until you get the best rate for your situation so thats why I have to offer everyone that is going to give you the best underwriting and rate.......so let me get some information to see what company is going to give you the best rate......."
Yes, something along this line. Just don't tell a prospect that you represent a company - any company. They want to believe that you represent them even though they know you have to balance their need for good product with your need to be compensated.

Yes, something along this line. Just don't tell a prospect that you represent a company - any company. They want to believe that you represent them even though they know you have to balance their need for good product with your need to be compensated.

wow Larry...thats what I just said.....is this a spin post....hahahahaha

I represent Gilmore Insurance Services...

If it's a gatekeeper, they are just asking so they can tell the boss, "Larry Gilmore "from" Gilmore Insurance Services is on the line.

You don't need to pitch the gatekeeper. If you do, you're less likely to get through. If you know the contact, just act like it is a regular call for that person.

i havent got past the comment, I dont have a website....

WTF

Ya lost me there. I actually have a website that I'm listed on through an agency but most of the agents with that agency prefer not to put that on their business card or anywhere else. The main reasons being that the agency name sometimes does not reflect the product being marketed at the time or fear that another agent may intercept the business.

When prospecting for retirement type of business products it is a good fit and a great website. I have just branched out a bit lately with a couple of other products and it wouldn't be proper use of that website or agency name. This hasn't really been an issue up till lately with me until I started branching out with more products.

I would actually prefer the website to be more agent friendly for those agents associated with the agency but with FINRA and all that other BS it can't from what I understand.

Back