Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions

Reply to When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You.     
Old 08-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Expert

State: eersfan is an Insurance Agent from
When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You. When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You.
Check out the story at wect.com regarding the insurance agent making robo calls.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Guru
Todd King on When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You.

State: Todd King is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Todd King is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You. Re: When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
Super Genius

State: InsCommentary is an Insurance Agent from
When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You. Re: When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You.
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...-and-caller-id

It's only illegal if fraud is intended. But for what legitimate business purpose is falsifying your phone number on Caller ID? I get calls on our landline all day from telemarketers who use local phone numbers to make us think it's a call from a neighbor, friend, or family member. It may not be fraudulent, but it's clearly unethical in my mind. And, given that I'm on the national Do Not Call list, I would think most of them are illegal.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
Guru
VolAgent on When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You.

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by InsCommentary View Post
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...-and-caller-id

It's only illegal if fraud is intended. But for what legitimate business purpose is falsifying your phone number on Caller ID? I get calls on our landline all day from telemarketers who use local phone numbers to make us think it's a call from a neighbor, friend, or family member. It may not be fraudulent, but it's clearly unethical in my mind. And, given that I'm on the national Do Not Call list, I would think most of them are illegal.
I would say those are illegal as the intent was deceive, also the business could not be reached at the number displayed which is illegal as they are trying to disguise their identity.

Now, spoofing is a very legitimate business practice. In fact it was devised for legitimate reasons. Large businesses use it all the time. They don't want you calling the individual employee who called you, but into the main switchboard, or to the main customer service number, etc.

Also for an agent who is using a dialer in a legal manner, it is useful as well. The dialer may be set to only allow outbound calls, it may not even have a number. But by pushing a valid number for the agent, the agent is being compliant.

You can pay the premium or you can own the loss.
Reply to When You Decide the Rules Don't Apply to You. 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions