Where Are They Getting Our Numbers?

tom3

Expert
Hi,

I get calls from FMOs and agencies etc all the time asking for my email to send contracts and sign up under them or from CRM companies, Final Expense, etc etc

I don't mind the calls, I actually enjoy them, I learn a lot.

How are they getting my information?

I have a friend who is also an agent and he gets the calls all the time.

A lot of contact info is public so carriers/vendors can just go straight to the state DOI and ask for it.

Hi,

I get calls from FMOs and agencies etc all the time asking for my email to send contracts and sign up under them or from CRM companies, Final Expense, etc etc

I can't say exactly, but I get them also... all the time. If you are in this business, your info is out there... and I assume not subject to DNC based on the number of calls I get. I still get calls and emails from the mortgage business that I used to work in, same deal.

Hi,

Most IMO types will sell your info to others.

Most IMO types will sell your info to others.

Most IMOs are pretty bad, but I've yet to see this kind of activity.

Since you claim most IMOs are doing this, can you name a couple that are sharing agents private info?

----------

Hi,

A lot of DOI websites have agents info on it. Most states will sell you the list. Here in Texas you can download the entire list for free!

Most IMOs are pretty bad, but I've yet to see this kind of activity.

Since you claim most IMOs are doing this, can you name a couple that are sharing agents private info?

----------

A lot of DOI websites have agents info on it. Most states will sell you the list. Here in Texas you can download the entire list for free!

Mark Rosenthal sold my info to some website designers. I got a call from a recruiter this week that told me they got my info from an IMO that I haven't been with for 7 years.

Parker and Asses was always selling off agent info. You only asked for a couple so I gave you three.

When I challenged Rosenthal about it he said "everybody" does it.

I don't believe everybody does it. I think it's only the scumbags that sell your info. I would guess that RBI would sell agent info.

For me that's why it's good to deal with IMO's from this forum. They are less likely to pull stuff that will be outed here.

Mark Rosenthal sold my info to some website designers. I got a call from a recruiter this week that told me they got my info from an IMO that I haven't been with for 7 years.

Parker and Asses was always selling off agent info. You only asked for a couple so I gave you three.

When I challenged Rosenthal about it he said "everybody" does it.

I don't believe everybody does it. I think it's only the scumbags that sell your info. I would guess that RBI would sell agent info.

For me that's why it's good to deal with IMO's from this forum. They are less likely to pull stuff that will be outed here.

Rosenthal sold your info, or gave a referral?

Parker/One Life will do just about anything, so no surprise there. Although I've personally met the family and they come across as nice people, but hey, so do the Powells.

I've just never heard of this practice before, you'd think it would be illegal. They have our socials and bank info.

I guess it proves my point that most IMOs don't know what they are doing.

Rosenthal sold your info, or gave a referral?

Parker/One Life will do just about anything, so no surprise there. Although I've personally met the family and they come across as nice people, but hey, so do the Powells.

I've just never heard of this practice before, you'd think it would be illegal. They have our socials and bank info.

I guess it proves my point that most IMOs don't know what they are doing.

He sold my info and others.

I constantly get calls and emails from people under some ANICO program.

It's constant. Calls from Tennessee especially. E-mails are usually out of Texas.

I've always assumed that agent's contact information is gleaned from the DOI website. In my state, your phone number, address and email address is right there on the DOI website for all to see.

In some cases, it seems that the DOI is the only possible source. I've had agents tell me that they've been inundated by mail or email from FMOs and other companies almost immediately after getting licensed, before they had contact with anyone (other than the DOI itself) who would have had a chance to sell their info. This was happening at least 15-20 years ago.

These days I probably get 10x the number of emails that I do phone calls. Years ago I'd get a good many letters or postcards in the mail, and I still do from time to time. But that volume has lessened considerably in recent years. I reckon that some of the calls I get are from FMOs that I've dealt with in the past, so they really aren't cold calls. I get calls periodically from Agent Pipeline, who I've never been contracted with and don't recall ever reaching out to, although it is possible that I did call or email them years ago. But I can't think of anyone else offhand. It could be that I first talked to some of them when they called me instead of the other way around.

WRT the Do Not Call list, my understanding is that an FMO calling you is a considered a B2B call that isn't subject to that regulation.

I don't doubt that some will sell your info. But why would an FMO sell your info to a competitor of theirs that works the same market? I guess they could sell your info to a marketing company that sells lists or websites who in turn sells it to another FMO.

For those who haven't been in the business long or who might otherwise have their resume posted on Monster or Careerbuilder, solicitation from captive/career companies and the likes of NAA are often coming from that source. The likes of AFLAC will apparently contact almost anybody whether they have any insurance experience or not.

LinkedIn is another big source of traffic in my case. At one point I was basically an open networker on there, which means a lot of connections with FMO personnel as well as people selling lists and offering to build websites. (For that reason, I'm a lot more selective now.) Until a couple of years ago, if you were in a group you were liable to be contacted by anyone else in the group.

Back