Why New Agents Fail?

New agents are consistently told how easy it is to make money in our industry. They are given the wealth stories, so what they think is supposed to happen is instant prosperity. When reality sets in, they haven't been shown the value of planning, nor have they developed a consistent process that will give them the desired results over time. Since the value of planning has not been emphasized, the inability to attain huge incomes becomes what they expect. If a new agent isn't shown how to properly plan and establish a consistent process to work daily, he/she will not make it. There is nothing more telling than an agent with nowhere to go, no one to see, and nothing to do.

I joined this forum on the 28th of December. So I've been researching 13 days. Currently, I want to sell L&H. Supps and FE. Although, I'm also interested in Cyber Insurance for businesses.

Pick one. Or two, if you are combing MAPD and FE. Trying to learn and sell more than that in the beginning is pretty difficult. Figure out how you are going to get in front of people, practice Columbo referrals and figure out your follow up method.

Then go get em!

Its a fabulous career!

FE, MA, Supp and PDP complement each other fairly well. You can sell a prospect for FE a Medicare policy and vice versa.

But like KG said, there is a lot to learn so take them on one at a time.

MA and PDP require some focused study to pass all the extra tests you will have to take. FE isn't particularly complex nor are Supps. But you will need to learn how to sell the products not just the regs and how they work.

#1: they get into this biz not knowing how hard it is. Some recruiter has told them they can make $100K the first year just calling people. Or they see those of us on the other side playing golf 2 or 3 times a week. (Not me, but that's because I am at my kids tennis tourneys at 1pm on a Tuesday) It takes 3 years to make this work. If someone is telling you it takes less than that, its a lie.

(So when your kids go off to college and you can schmooze at the golf course you've got an automatic $50K a year increase coming. :laugh: )

Re the 3 year comment:
If one's circumstances suggest part time and 5-6 years to work; the wisdom of starting from scratch in the insurance business could be called into question.

(So when your kids go off to college and you can schmooze at the golf course you've got an automatic $50K a year increase coming. :laugh: )

Re the 3 year comment:
If one's circumstances suggest part time and 5-6 years to work; the wisdom of starting from scratch in the insurance business could be called into question.

I've NEVER advocated starting from scratch, unless you have 3 things in place. A budget (with the cash flow already in place), a solid lead source and a follow-up plan. Agents who come in broke, without a way to make the mortgage payment, are gone in 6 months.

Personally...I had a $2K guarantee for 24 months, if I sold 6 life policies per month (and I kept the life commission on top of the $2K). And training every week. And 25+ Financial Advisors feeding me health leads.

(And the college thing? The Princess graduated last spring, on a tennis scholarship, I paid $0. The son? Well. I've been saving a lot so he can be an Aggie! I'll be on the golf course!)

Agents fail for a number of reasons. You failed selling cancer insurance because you were selling something you didn't believe in. Simple as that!

The highest number of agents fail because they get started by searching Craigslist, or online ads and get hooked up with the Primerica's, LH, SL, etc. type of IMO's/companies. They will hire ANYONE and just hope you write your family before you quit.

This job takes a certain personality type. If you don't have that personality, it WILL NOT work. When I sense agents don't have the right personality, I tell them they shouldn't waste their time/money in insurance.

Also so many people have to have a JOB. I know several people personally that make decent money at their job, but if you gave them complete freedom like we have in this business, they would be living under a bridge in 2 months or less.

Agents also get sold a bill of goods on how they don't have to have money to get started. There are those 1 in a 1,000 type of people that can bust their butt and make the money required by cold knocking, cold calling, etc. but overall, an agent needs money to invest in their business to get it started.

Then agents that pick the correct IMO, have the money to get started, get good contracts access to good leads, etc....some of them STILL FAIL. And the main reason I see is because they are ALWAYS trying to reinvent the wheel.

I hear this from time to time. "I have been spending $600 per week on leads and selling about $4,500 in AP each week, but I got this email about some DM leads that are $2 per lead! I am going to stop my mail and try those!" That agent was on a great system and it was working! His numbers would only go up in time, but he wants to cut out cost on the one thing that was MAKING him the money.

Then there are agents like yourself. And I hope you prove me wrong, but you fall into the category of agents that analyze EVERYTHING and never actually commit to anything. You have to make a decision. As the old timers would say..."Sh!t or get off the pot!"

There are several awesome posts in this thread, I found this powerful, thank you so much for posting this. Many of us need to read this.

----------

If that is what you think selling is... then you've failed before you've started. I don't care what you're selling.

Anyone who thinks they could succeed doing junk like that... will have their business lapsed, replaced, cancelled, etc. very quickly.

In your mind "Selling" = "Scamming". You need to know the value you can provide before even starting in this business. That'll take some studying.

If you can figure out how you can HELP people, and keep your focus on THAT (rather than "scamming" them)... you'll have a far better perspective to succeed.
ProducersWeb - My Practice - The true story of a million-dollar producer

https://sandyschussel.com/service-not-standings/

Who needs little blue pills when we have DHK? ;)

I printed the million-dollar producer story and highlighted several parts. It will be put into a binder of motivational stories and blog posts for those days when I need a reminder of why I want to do all this. DHK, you ROCK!

You are inspirational, you rarely scold people, you educate, you are one of the top posters on this site, you spread so much educational and inspirational messages on the board, Sir I salute you.

There are several awesome posts in this thread, I found this powerful, thank you so much for posting this. Many of us need to read this.

----------

Who needs little blue pills when we have DHK? ;)

I printed the million-dollar producer story and highlighted several parts. It will be put into a binder of motivational stories and blog posts for those days when I need a reminder of why I want to do all this. DHK, you ROCK!

You are inspirational, you rarely scold people, you educate, you are one of the top posters on this site, you spread so much educational and inspirational messages on the board, Sir I salute you.

Awwwwwwww, get a room!:laugh:

DHK is a good poster. He's been a little cranky of late, but that's still mild compared to most.;)

Insurance = Get Rich Slow

Second point I wanted to make is figure out who has got your back.
My husband used to set my appointments, my kids would put flyers on every door in the neighborhood, my teenager would help at seminars, one kid would bake cookies to give away when I would set up a table at community events. Concentrate on your customers who will gladly give you referrals and hand out your business card with a recommendation. I could have never done this without help.

Back