Why Not Offer Med Supps?

Frank Stastny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Florida
It has always surprised me that professional agents, regardless of what they are selling, don’t carry Med Supp apps with them. I can’t think of a product an agent can sell that isn’t going to put them in contact with at least a few people each year that are either on Medicare or soon to be turning 65.

Medicare Supplements are the simplest, easiest kind of insurance to learn, prospect for and sell. The basics are very straightforward , it is the “when” and “how” that takes some research and time to learn. It’s almost impossible to “screw one up”. So much so, that insurance companies do not require agents to carry E&O insurance to sell Med Supps. It’s pretty hard to make an error or omit something unless the agent lies about the coverage. (I don’t believe E&O would cover that anyway.)

There are no riders, rate ups, exclusions or exceptions as with individual health insurance. No underwriting or claims problems. The agent doesn’t need a “quote engine”, look at the rate sheet and point to the premium.

In essence the agent is the underwriter. If the prospect answers “no” to all the appropriate questions the company basically issues the policy, an APS is not routinely requested. If the prospect answers “yes” to even one of the health questions there is no reason for the agent to submit the app. The company will not issue the policy.

Service work is virtually nonexistent. Medicare has it setup to handle all claims automatically. There is very rarely a claim dispute. The only times I have received a call on a claim is when the doctor coded the claim incorrectly and it was easily resolved by me calling the doctor’s office and requesting that the claim be coded correctly and re-filed.

Medicare Supplement renewals are the best in the industry. In most states companies pay first year commission for the first six years. Agents who are selling insurance just to make money and do not look at it as a career do not perceive that selling Med Supps will generate the kind of income they are seeking. That is because they are only looking at the first year commission. (Most take a 12 month advance and consider that as being the amount of money they made.) If the annual commission is $300 they only think in terms as having made $300. When I sell a policy I think in terms of having made $1,800. I still have seniors as clients who I sold a Med Supp to in 1993, my first year in the business. Any idea how much commission I have made from those clients? A lot!

When I “walk out the door” with a signed application I leave my new client with more disposal income than they had when I “walked in the door” with no reduction in coverage. They have more money to spend as a result of having met with me.

Cross selling opportunities are smooth and sweet. Final Expense becomes extremely easy to write. I simply suggest to my new client that he/she may want to consider reinvesting a portion of the money I just saved them in a small final expense plan. The key to doing that is that I’m not using any “new money”.

I’m only suggesting that they use a portion of the money I just saved them. Many companies even have a section on the Med Supp app for adding a final expense policy. Agents can easily double their Med Supp commission on that appointment by adding a small FE plan.

Seniors control the majority of the wealth in the country. Once the agent gains their trust and confidence, approaching them with the opportunity to purchase an annuity becomes nothing more than a friendly conversation to show them there may be better options for investing their money.

It is more difficult to interest people in Long Term Care insurance who are substantially under 65. Most people don’t look at it seriously until they start approaching “old age” and they have seen friends and relatives who have had to enter a nursing home. The trust you have gained with your Med Supp clients will allow you to show them the benefits of a LTCi policy without you sounding like you are trying to “sell” them something. Just like FE, I have a substantial amount of LTCi on the books but I have never had to “sell” my Med Supp clients the policy.

I guess I should be grateful that all agents don’t carry Med Supp apps.

On second thought, forget everything I just posted. :D

Good post but you should really clarify some of this:

"If the prospect answers “yes” to even one of the health questions there is no reason for the agent to submit the app. The company will not issue the policy."

This is incorrect. If the client is turning 65 or coming off of group plan they are getting issued, guaranteed.

Secondly your statement may lead agents to believe you have to pass on or lose that sale (if they have health issues and are not GI), but you're forgetting AARP as an option, a must have option at that. One of my agents wrote two this past week now that she's certified.

Why not properly serve your client?

Medicare Supplements are the simplest, easiest kind of insurance to learn, prospect for and sell."

Anything is easy to learn when you apply yourself. Yes Medicare Supp plans have identical benefits, no variations but I see just as many agents leaving sales on the table (due to lack of sales skill/training) as I do on the health side. Success is never easy, if it were everyone would be successful. Also, how is prospecting easier and what are you comparing it to?

"The agent doesn’t need a “quote engine”, look at the rate sheet and point to the premium."

Health agents don't NEED a quote engine. But it makes it easier in the beginning. Do we only sell one company? No, so prices can vary, yes? I know you'll say you already know who has the best price for where you work but keep this in mind.

A: People may have non res licenses and prices can (and will) vary. Where Mutual is number one in one place, they may not be in another. It might be Woodman, etc. This business is more expansive than you seem to imply.

B: Many new agents use a quoting tool to learn the ropes, to get to know plans and premiums where they sell.

Ritter has one for Med Supps and Craig Ritter is not only is the most knowledgeable person on earth when it comes to med supps, he doesn't mind if you hit up his site for info and the quoting tool, free of charge. (the tool may not have all carriers/premiums etc in all states).

Also when the forthcoming rates change due to the risk pool changes headed our way, what better way to get up to speed than a quoting tool to shorten the learning curve?

"Medicare Supplement renewals are the best in the industry. If the annual commission is $300 they only think in terms as having made $300. When I sell a policy I think in terms of having made $1,800."

This is true in theory, but with seniors gravitating to the Internet (and baby boomers coming soon who are already savvy) it's misleading to think they will all stay on for the entire 6 years in this day and age. People die, their financial situation changes, the may change plans (without you), not nearly as much as health but it happens. It's not 100% certain you will retain all of your business. I was told by several people to expect 85% retention over ten years.

Now, none of this changes the fact that Med Supp sales is a great way to go, I just feel you should explain things more properly because you never want people to feel misled or be misinformed, especially if you promote yourself as a trainer.

Good post but you should really clarify some of this:

"If the prospect answers “yes” to even one of the health questions there is no reason for the agent to submit the app. The company will not issue the policy."

This is incorrect. If the client is turning 65 or coming off of group plan they are getting issued, guaranteed.

Secondly your statement may lead agents to believe you have to pass on or lose that sale (if they have health issues and are not GI), but you're forgetting AARP as an option, a must have option at that. One of my agents wrote two this past week now that she's certified.

Why not properly serve your client?

Medicare Supplements are the simplest, easiest kind of insurance to learn, prospect for and sell."

Anything is easy to learn when you apply yourself. Yes Medicare Supp plans have identical benefits, no variations but I see just as many agents leaving sales on the table (due to lack of sales skill/training) as I do on the health side. Success is never easy, if it were everyone would be successful. Also, how is prospecting easier and what are you comparing it to?

"The agent doesn’t need a “quote engine”, look at the rate sheet and point to the premium."

Health agents don't NEED a quote engine. But it makes it easier in the beginning. Do we only sell one company? No, so prices can vary, yes? I know you'll say you already know who has the best price for where you work but keep this in mind.

A: People may have non res licenses and prices can (and will) vary. Where Mutual is number one in one place, they may not be in another. It might be Woodman, etc. This business is more expansive than you seem to imply.

B: Many new agents use a quoting tool to learn the ropes, to get to know plans and premiums where they sell.

Ritter has one for Med Supps and Craig Ritter is not only is the most knowledgeable person on earth when it comes to med supps, he doesn't mind if you hit up his site for info and the quoting tool, free of charge. (the tool may not have all carriers/premiums etc in all states).

Also when the forthcoming rates change due to the risk pool changes headed our way, what better way to get up to speed than a quoting tool to shorten the learning curve?

"Medicare Supplement renewals are the best in the industry. If the annual commission is $300 they only think in terms as having made $300. When I sell a policy I think in terms of having made $1,800."

This is true in theory, but with seniors gravitating to the Internet (and baby boomers coming soon who are already savvy) it's misleading to think they will all stay on for the entire 6 years in this day and age. People die, their financial situation changes, the may change plans (without you), not nearly as much as health but it happens. It's not 100% certain you will retain all of your business. I was told by several people to expect 85% retention over ten years.

Now, none of this changes the fact that Med Supp sales is a great way to go, I just feel you should explain things more properly because you never want people to feel misled or be misinformed, especially if you promote yourself as a trainer.

If they are in open enrollment or a GI period, you don't ask the medical questions, so, there is nothing to say yes or no to.

I don't know if Frank sells AARP or not, but, I won't sell anything under their umbrella. Med. sups, Securehorizens, UHC, NYL or club memberships.

Have some discretion man. Even a pimp will cull some girls from the herd.

If they are in open enrollment or a GI period, you don't ask the medical questions, so, there is nothing to say yes or no to.

If this is reaching out to entice people to sell med supps, it should be clarified.

I don't know if Frank sells AARP or not, but, I won't sell anything under their umbrella. Med. sups, Securehorizens, UHC, NYL or club memberships.

Your opinions are not only not equal to how your client's may feel, but they are also not relevant to what I said.

I don't believe Frank was trying to give 100% of all the information necessary to sell a Med Supp. What he talked about was generalities.

Med Supps are much easier to sell than other health insurance. Even Liano can train people to sell them.

Rick

So adding additional insight or clarification is a bad thing now? Generalities is what allowed tons of agents to crash and burn in health.

Get a quoting tool, a website, a dialer, etc, etc, watch a product webinar, you'll be rich, it's easy!!

Not the case is it?

I don't believe Frank was trying to give 100% of all the information necessary to sell a Med Supp. What he talked about was generalities.

Med Supps are much easier to sell than other health insurance. Even Liano can train people to sell them.

Rick

If this is reaching out to entice people to sell med supps, it should be clarified.

Your opinions are not only not equal to how your client's may feel, but they are also not relevant to what I said.

I don't entice anyone to sell or not sell anything. You were trying to correct Frank about a person answering yes on the app and he knew to not submit it. You said that, if they were in open enrollment or a GI period they would be accepted if they said yes. That's not correct. You don't ask the questions.

As far as how my clients may feel about AARP, if they want that, I will refer them to someone that does pimp those products. Maybe that would be you?

I'm not sure why you feel the need to either attack, insult or accuse me (whatever your intent was) I wasn't correcting Frank, just clarifying. You obviously know you don't have to ask questions, (like Frank and I) but does everyone who might read his post know that? (which was the point) Especially with the amount of rookies on here on a daily basis?

And is that all you had to question from my post? So the rest is okay, you just don't like that one particular item, sounds pretty pointless yet you're holding fast to it, is Frank your boyfriend or something? LOL

And what are the reasons you don't "pimp" AARP?

I don't entice anyone to sell or not sell anything. You were trying to correct Frank about a person answering yes on the app and he knew to not submit it. You said that, if they were in open enrollment or a GI period they would be accepted if they said yes. That's not correct. You don't ask the questions.

As far as how my clients may feel about AARP, if they want that, I will refer them to someone that does pimp those products. Maybe that would be you?

Back