Is It Worth It for an Independent Agent to Obtain an MBA?

I recently attended a young agent conference here in Marquette, and one of the speakers was a professor from Michigan Tech. A follow up email was sent inviting me to seek and start working towards getting my MBA. I don't have an undergraduate degree, but I do have work experience, so if I meet the requirements of their online program, would it be worth my time to get my MBA? Do any of you have yours? Has it helped in any specific way? One of the things I noticed on Tech's website is the opportunity to network during a couple of their on-campus weekend residencies. What do you guys think? Should I do it?

Dude, are you serious? You don't have an undergrad but you are worried about an MBA? WTF?

The answer is entirely up to you. Will it result in more sales? Maybe, maybe not.

More education never hurts as long as it doesn't interfere with work. This is still a "find the prospect, sell the prospect" business. Some very very smart people have failed at this businesss, while some really dumb ones have succeeded.

So there isn't a right answer for you to hear. You have to figure that out yourself if will work for you.

The MBA isn't likely to assist directly with anything related to your practice. Then again we should ask what exactly your practice is. If it's FE, forget the MBA. If you're in P&C there is some potential if and only if you're going commercial focused.

Life/finance could benefit from an MBA. I'm worried about the expectation you're establishing vis-a-vis the "networking" comment. I remember being a business card whore and looking to attend as many "networking" events as possible. Never wrote a lot of business doing that, and wouldn't recommend it.

Now, they say that if you aren't getting the right answers you aren't asking the right questions. So let's consider this: what makes you think the MBA would help you? Reverse engineer this situation and ask yourself why the sales pitch is working, and then ask if it's fact or fiction. Is there a "pain" that the MBA is potentially ameliorating? Does the MBA really accomplish this? In other words, what are you perceived deficiencies?

Dude, undergrad is not required, and I'm not worried about it, just poking at the idea, I don't think it would hurt to apply at least, and then if I succeed it can only help down the road.

You lost me. An undergrad degree is absolutely a requirement for any "real" MBA program. Is this some kind of online "Earn Your MBA: Online University of the Bahamas" kind of deal?

Just put "MBA" after your name. Nobody cares but it it makes you feel better, do it.

In my case, I put MD on my card. I tell people it stands for "Medicare Doctor." That way I can't get in trouble with the DOI, Insurance Carriers, or CMS.

At least that's what DS4 told me.

Rick

You lost me. An undergrad degree is absolutely a requirement for any "real" MBA program. Is this some kind of online "Earn Your MBA: Online University of the Bahamas" kind of deal?

I may have jumped the gun a little bit, I read online that work experience could substitute having a bachelors degree, however when I look a little more closer at Tech's requirements it says a Bachelors degree is a MUST. It is an offer for online MBA so you're half right LOL! Mich Tech is a very good school though.

I may have jumped the gun a little bit, I read online that work experience could substitute having a bachelors degree, however when I look a little more closer at Tech's requirements it says a Bachelors degree is a MUST. It is an offer for online MBA so you're half right LOL! Mich Tech is a very good school though.

Can't imagine why a professor is pushing his program. Either way, you're probably better off getting your CLU if you want job related education. I can't remember a time when someone asked me what my education was, and knowing how prospects are, if they did ask it would probably mean that person would be a pain in my ass.

Looks like you ran into a recruiter. He is trying to put butts in seats. Recruiting and sales isn't limited to just insurance.

Follow BNTRS advice, unless getting an MBA is going to help you sell, pass.

Back