Some Families Pay More Under Obamacare

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
If the example one Georgia insurance company offered is true of the others, the average middle-age family of five will pay about 45 percent more for medical coverage in October under federal health reform.

One company, Blue Cross Blue Shield Healthcare Plan of Georgia, included an example of the cheapest option under the federally prescribed plans. For the middle-aged couple living in Albany and their three children – including one who smokes – the monthly premium is $1,605. The company now offers the same plan for $1,100, according to Georgia Health Coverage Inc., an independent insurance agency in Newnan.

Some families could pay far more for health insurance under ObamaCare, officials say | jacksonville.com

$1,605 per month for a BRONZE (the cheapest) plan is crazy! So what does Blue Cross do if the Georgia Insurance Commissioner rejects the premium and demands that it be $1,100..or lower?

Since Georgia regulators have that authority, what did the affected insurer do the last time they rejected a proposed rate?
-ac

I doubt carriers will appeal. Why should they? If DOI rejects all filings there won't be anyone on the exchange.

Last BX filing that was rejected was for Medigap. BX wanted 14%, rejected, backed off to 9%. Don't recall the last time IFP was rejected.

Just to be fair, the example did include one adult smoker in the group.

But, as an agent in Georgia also, this is a very interesting article. These upcoming changes are going to be confusing and painful. We are planning to participate, but not convinced of outcomes yet. I think participation by the consumer will be less than expected.

As my partner likes to remind me, "If somebody does not have health insurance today, there is a reason. And, that reason is usually based on money".

These articles keep going back to Bill Custer as a reference. Custer is an ***.

Back