1 Year Agent

logan_searching

Hello all,

First post here.
Have read a lot of threads and learned a lot from this forum.
I have been contracted with a captive insurance agency since Oct 1, 2013. So I'm still learning a lot but understand most basic concepts.
I'm a multiline agent with a focus on Life and Autos. Company has quotas which I am required to reach to ensure I don't loose my contract with them.
Said all this to ask, What methods do you'll find to keep pushing yourselfs to get out there and sell to an increasingly more difficult market. I believe my problem is mostly reluctance to setting enough appointments (my least favorite part of the job). Any advice to overcome these issues is appreciated.

ps. sorry for long venting post

Last edited:
Hello all,

First post here.
Have read a lot of threads and learned a lot from this forum.
I have been contracted with a captive insurance agency since Oct 1, 2013. So I'm still learning a lot but understand most basic concepts.
I'm a multiline agent with a focus on Life and Autos. Company has quotas which I am required to reach to ensure I don't loose my contract with them.
Said all this to ask, What methods do you'll find to keep pushing yourselfs to get out there and sell to an increasingly more difficult market. I want to succeed in this career I just always find myself looking for a new career when times get tuff and managers start pushing. I believe my problem is mostly reluctance to setting enough appointments (my least favorite part of the job). Any advice to overcome these issues is appreciated.

ps. sorry for long venting post

Hello, my advice would be to seek out networking meeting near you and try to find a local BNI chapter and get in.. its a exclusive networking group so once your in you are the only guy getting the refferals. if you have not already done so...

There are two kinds of prospecting methods: "Today" prospecting... and "Tomorrow" prospecting.

If you're concerned about making your contract, you need to focus 95% of your time on "today" prospecting methods.

"Today" prospecting methods include:
- Professional Introductions from those who already know the quality of your work
- Cold-calling
- Door-to-door introductions
- Buying leads

"Tomorrow" prospecting methods include:
- "networking" meetings, such as BNI, etc.
- Joining local trade associations
- booths at trade shows or chamber of commerce events
- 'networking' with CPAs, Attorneys, and other local professionals
- Advertising

So first, you have to understand your business needs and apply the best methods to solve that business need as quickly as possible.

IMO, a lot of these "tomorrow prospecting" methods... are a waste of time and money. They happen infrequently, so you never build up momentum or daily disciplines. You can add those later... after you have the habits, discipline, and prospecting focus to meet today's needs.

Next, you need to look at what you're saying and who you're saying it to. I've never been a multi-line agent, but if you want relationships instead of transactions... you need to focus more on quality of services instead of prices of policies.

My favorite ways to do this is to ask a "1 to 10" quality question, followed with a "what would you change" question.

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is absolute perfection, and a 1 would be a train-wreck... how would you rank the quality of your insurance protection today? (adjust for your market and focus)

2. If you had a realistic magic wand... what would you want to see changed or improved?

Then you talk about the kind of work you do and the kinds of problems you solve, and simply ask the other person if it would make sense for you to get together.

When you get together, you do a complete fact-find process to help you craft appropriate recommendations.

thanks to both of the responses

I currently have contact names and numbers of parent to a large kids sports organization of which I will be targeting. I think with this and asking for referrals I will be able to increase my production.

Back