46 Years Old! New Career?

salesman1

I am 46 years old and have a family and lots of bills! I live in Colorado. I sold telemarketing in A niche sports market and am used to making a six figure income. My niche field is pretty much gone at this point and I am looking for a new career.

I am not afraid to ask for the sale and close deals. My question, is it possible to make a six figure income in the first year in this business? Also if I get a license in Colorado, does anyone have any recommendations on a good place to start with excellent earning potential? Thanks! Tom

----------

Wanted to add that my former business was telemarketing and I am great at it.

Six figures the first year is possible but not likely.

Last edited:
Wanted to add that my former business was telemarketing and I am great at it.

Where you doing the telemarketing or selling telemarketing services?

If you cleared six figures net your first year you'd be exceptional, even grossing six figures your first year would be noteworthy, that is if you're going the indy agent route that this forum focuses on almost exclusively.

If you got a gig with a carrier doing sales management (not sure if that's even in your background) hitting those numbers is certainly possible. Carrier reps can do pretty well, but it's very difficult to get those jobs, especially without an insurance background.

What line(s) were you looking at selling?

I am 46 years old and have a family and lots of bills! I live in Colorado. I sold telemarketing in A niche sports market and am used to making a six figure income. My niche field is pretty much gone at this point and I am looking for a new career. I am not afraid to ask for the sale and close deals. My question, is it possible to make a six figure income in the first year in this business? Also if I get a license in Colorado, does anyone have any recommendations on a good place to start with excellent earning potential? Thanks! Tom ---------- Wanted to add that my former business was telemarketing and I am great at it.

I have an agent in Colorado Springs that made over 100 K his first year in the FE business. If you would like, I could coordinate a ride along with you and him if you were willing to go to his area. Contact me if that's something you're up for.

Where you doing the telemarketing or selling telemarketing services?

If you cleared six figures net your first year you'd be exceptional, even grossing six figures your first year would be noteworthy, that is if you're going the indy agent route that this forum focuses on almost exclusively.

If you got a gig with a carrier doing sales management (not sure if that's even in your background) hitting those numbers is certainly possible. Carrier reps can do pretty well, but it's very difficult to get those jobs, especially without an insurance background.

What line(s) were you looking at selling?
I was selling sports information. Yes I managed the company for quite some time as well. I am a salesman at heart though.

----------

I have an agent in Colorado Springs that made over 100 K his first year in the FE business. If you would like, I could coordinate a ride along with you and him if you were willing to go to his area. Contact me if that's something you're up for.
I live in Highlands Ranch. My daughter is 14 and we would like to say in the area until she graduates. I found FE stands for Final expense insurance. I can sell that I am sure. Everyone needs Life Insurance! I would be willing to go down there. I am an hour away. Would I still be able to work in my area?

----------

I don't know much about insurance but am throwing a little script at you. Keep in mind I don't know exactly what the product is.

Hi Customer, My name is Mr Smith (not my name) with "blank life" and we have a great program that has been of tremendous value to many others in the Highlands Ranch Community.

I am guessing the program would benefit you but would like to ask you just a few questions to find out. That would probably work for you right? Excellent.

Grab a pen and take down my name and number let me know when you are ready. My name is "blank" with "generic life" and my direct line is "blank". Read that back to me please!

(I do not know the product but will take a stab with these questions.)

First you do have a family correct? Yes

Have you ever had anyone that you knew on a first name basis pass unexpectedly? Yes

If you passed today are you 1000 percent confident that your family would be able to pay off the mortgage, have money for bills, funeral expenses, maybe even college and other expenses? Well probably not.

So customer if I can show you the absolute best program out there that would assure that you and your family would have all the money they could possibly need and without changing your lifestyle one bit you would probably be interested in that kind of protection right?

"If yes, at this point I would describe the product and close them.

Last edited:
Up until your last line... you were okay.

On the phone, you always close for the appointment. Never sell over the phone, unless you can actually present, close, and collect payment over the phone.

Here's your problem and opportunity: To use the phrase "without changing your lifestyle one bit"... you're going to have to become more than an insurance salesperson.

You're going to have to become more of a financial advisor. This means getting familiar with insurance, investments, retirement planning, income taxation, etc.

You can learn a lot of that here: IPS Insurance Marketing and Sales Resource Center

That's also why you would have to close for an appointment, versus trying to sell your policy (whatever it is) over the phone.

Now, if you just want to sell the policy over the phone, you can probably do that with certain select insurance companies... but you can't say that you can give them coverage without affecting their lifestyle.

In general... your script might not work for the FE-type sale.

Up until your last line... you were okay.

On the phone, you always close for the appointment. Never sell over the phone, unless you can actually present, close, and collect payment over the phone.

Here's your problem and opportunity: To use the phrase "without changing your lifestyle one bit"... you're going to have to become more than an insurance salesperson.

You're going to have to become more of a financial advisor. This means getting familiar with insurance, investments, retirement planning, income taxation, etc.

That's also why you would have to close for an appointment, versus trying to sell your policy (whatever it is) over the phone.

Now, if you just want to sell the policy over the phone, you can probably do that with certain select insurance companies... but you can't say that you can give them coverage without affecting their lifestyle.

In general... your script might not work for the FE-type sale.

Hi, Yes I definitely need product knowledge. I really don't know what final Expense insurance is but I am going to learn. The lifestyle line has to go then!

Yes, those 100k +++ positions exist in marketing insurance products today and much more. The fact that you sincerely ask the question gives rise to your probable ability to do that, given the right situation.

Back