50 Best Ways to Generate Leads

Cheesy pick-up lines, whether in sales or bars, will work once in a while and make you look like an ass the other 95% of the time. If you can make a living on the 5% and don't mind looking like an ass the other 95% of the time, nothing wrong with it. However, there are certainly other ways to get those 5% without a cheesy line.

I talk to Strangers all the time and set appointments all the time...

It is like cold calling. Many can't do it, but some can.

YOU don't just walk up to someone and say hey buy some life insurance, but there are tricks to it.

I do believe in passing out business cards and asking them if they have one also.

I'm not saying to just do this to prospect. But if you can find a way to approach strangers and start talking with them about anything, you might turn it back into ins sooner or later.

This is a relationship business...We sell ourselves more then we do a product.

The guy in life ins selling mag, was the number 1 selling agent for his company. For him, it did work and it works for me also. That does not mean it works for just anyone.

It is just like cold calling. I know a few that can do it, but most can't. It does not mean that it can't be done.

I do have a trick or two in doing this.....Like I ask them what do they do for a living, and then when they ask me what I do for a living, I have a trick into getting them to think about ins and letting me come see them.

Click here and listen to the 6th tape, on what do I do for a living.

I would never call my clients every 90 days. That's a bit excessive. Birthday and Age Change.

I would never call my clients every 90 days. That's a bit excessive. Birthday and Age Change.

In general, I agree. Unless you have group accounts or investment business in the mix. I personally have two tracks, one for clients under $1,000 annual reoccuring revenue (almost always group health, ancillary, or retirement) and one for clients over $1,000 reoccuring.

The nature of the business with the under $1,000 reoccuring doesn't require much hand holding as you stated, I put them on the OCS track just like you do. They get my monthly email newsletter, hear from me on their B-Day, and we do an annual review once per year (in person or on the phone). That's 14 "touches" each year right there.

Walking up to a stranger and starting a conversation off with LI as the subject is a sure way to get blow off.

But starting a conversation with a stranger and just talking about what you do, if it comes up, is a great way to prospect believe it or not.

Some of my biggest sales have come from what I call "bar stool" prospecting.
Every city has its bars that business men like to go to and have a drink at before work. And most will have a few guys sitting alone. Have a seat a stool down from one of them and just act normal, and have a conversation with them without being in the "selling" mindset. I cant think of one instance where a business man did not ask me where I worked or what I did for a living. And if he didnt, I asked him, so in return they will ask.
Thats when you need a quick 5 sec pill about what you do... If they are below 60 I tell them I do investments and insurance planning. Over 60, I tell them I do retirement income planning. If they are a business owner I tell them I do business planning or exec deferred comp.

No matter what you say, here is the key... DONT TRY TO SELL THEM ANYTHING RIGHT THEN UNLESS THEY START ASKING QUESTIONS THEMSELVES!!! And let THEM lead the conversation into what you do, not the other way around. Its about feeling out, and even subtly manipulating the conversation.:1cool:
If there is immediate interest in what you do and your products then have a conversation right there about their situation, and then lead into setting an appointment.
If they dont dig or ask anymore question, just get a business card from them and call them a couple of days later. Either to set an appointment, or maybe even to buy them a beer at the bar, then they will feel a bit more obligated to talk to you about your work.

About a quarter of my business last year was from bar stool prospecting after work. And its not something I did on a weekly basis either.

7. Take a long-term view. Avoid short-sighted marketing plans. We tell investors to have a five- and 10-year horizon with investing, yet most advisors have a 90-day or six-month view of their marketing efforts

36. Make your own title. I start and end every presentation with the reminder that I am not an insurance sales-person. I am an insurance educator. I don’t sell product, I find care solutions. And I rarely look for the cheapest product but rather the best value proposition for an individual client’s needs and circumstances. Then I ask for the referral.

Back