Advanced 20-Point Days

cratos

Expert
Georgia
I was given a copy of the following daily point system in my training materials from MWA. Does anyone else use this (or a similar) point system?

I would appreciate opinions on how this plan will work for someone new to the industry, as well as suggestions to improve it. Thanks in advance for your input.

Advanced 20-Point Days
A daily system for success, formulated by an industry master.
By Robert M. Nelson, CLU, ChFC, NAIFA Past President
If you want to change the results that you are getting, you’ve got to change the things that you are doing. This 20-point system is the tool I use to obtain and maintain peak performance. It is not about “grand slam home runs”; It is about making the most out of each day in a deliberate, yet flexible way.
1 Point: Making a telephone call to arrange a selling appointment.
2 Points: Making above call and actually setting the appointment; setting the appointment any other way also counts as 2 points.
2 Points: Obtaining a “qualified” lead.
3 Points: Delegating something that must be done, but not by me.
3 Points: Casework—it is either ready to present to the client/prospect; or you complete a major step to significantly advance a case.
4 Points: Conducting a face-to-face business meeting, regardless of outcome. Opportunities arise from activity with prospective buyer/clients.
4 Points: Reading something that will enhance my business success.
5 Points: Attending a NAIFA, rotary, chamber of commerce meeting, or similar community meeting where you enhance your professional image.
5 Points: Completing the sale; an application is signed.
5 points: Exercising for longer than 30 minutes. If you do not stay healthy, the rest doesn’t matter much.
10 Points: Meeting with a CPA, attorney or property and casualty agent regarding business development.
15 Points: Completing a sale on which the annualized revenue is in excess of $5,000.
Tomorrow you start all over! There is no carryover, so make each day count.
Bob Nelson, CLU, LUTCF, is vice president of the life and estate planning division at Grace-Mayer Insurance in Omaha, Neb. He served as NAIFA president from 2001-2002.

Reactions: DHK
Most career shops have some variation of this. I believe the OCS (One Card System) by Al Grannum assigned points to activity.

The idea is to get you to do things that are productive. Nothing wrong with that and is a good motivational tool for the new agent. You may not make a sale today but if you hit your point goal you are doing the right things.

Kind of . . .

Insurance sales is like golf. I can go out every day and hit a bucket of balls but unless I have the right coaching I am simply practicing the wrong swing.

You can do the right things to get your 20 points, but unless what you are doing is EFFECTIVE you are not going anywhere. Meet with a CPA and discuss your business. Not a bad idea but unless you give that professional a REASON to want to refer business you have wasted your time.

Systems like this are good, but only to a point. It can seem to be juvenile, especially for someone who has already established themselves in business in another venture, but the system teaches consistency and gives your manager a way of helping you learn the ropes.

I agree with Somarco, this is a great way to learn a habit of being productive.

Many people fail when they are self employed because they don't give themselves any structure and then get up around 10, start at noon, but take a lunch break at 12:05 type of thing. This helps avoid falling into that trap, which we all do, in our own ways.

Dan

If I got paid today for my efforts today, I wouldn't use a point system. Earning points allows me to focus on what I need to do today so I'll be fine in four months when my efforts come to represent an actual check in the mail. To that end, I'm a big believer in using a point system or simply having some sort of daily target to shoot toward.

I take it you're selling life insurance as a focus given the point system you posted. I don't think its bad by any means, but you can earn points for activities that don't lead to actual business. The OCS system only rewards you for activities that lead to actual business (completing fact finders, opening cases, gaining qualified suspects, and closing meetings), it has been the industry standard for a long time for a reason. If you get 5 points a day, you will be fine. It's not easy, but doable.

Another simple verision I've used recently:

1 pt 40 New Dials
1 pt 10 B2B Walk-Ins
1 pt Meeting Held (not scheduled)

Daily Goal = 5 pts or higher

Simple, maybe juvenille, but it keeps me on track. When I was selling mainly health insurance, I had a different point structure/goal each day to stay on track. The key is simply to do enough of the right kind of activity each day (gaining and meeting with new prospects) that the numbers will work out. For some a point system for works, for some, they do fine without it.

The OCS system only rewards you for activities that lead to actual business (completing fact finders, opening cases, gaining qualified suspects, and closing meetings),

Thx.

I thought there were points in OCS, but was too lazy to look it up.

There are:

1/2 pt New Qualified Suspect
1 pt New Fact Finder
1 pt Case Opened
1 pt Closing Attempt
1 pt Lunch

The objective is to get at least 100 pts a month or about 5 per day.

I thought lunch was 5 pts.

Nope, just 1 pt. However, let's say you completed a fact finder and opened a new case while at lunch, that's 3 pts total (1 pt FF, 1 pt C.O., 1 pt Lunch).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OCS - One Card System

http://www.onecardsystem.com/Documents/Essentials.swf

Many a career has been built on OCS. The system is over 30 years old but still works today. Al Grannum was a genius.

Thanks for posting that Bob. The second link should be required for anyone entering the life insurance business. The book through the OCS link above offered by National Underwriter, "Building a Financial Services Clientele" should be required reading as well. It discusses the science of building an active clientele.

The first half of the battle is knowing what to do, the OCS System accomplishes it. The second half, and most difficult, is following through on what you need to do each day. The OCS point system helps you track if you're doing it. Simple, but not easy. If you get 5 pts a day, I don't see any way someone could fail in building a profitable business selling life insurance.

Last edited:
Back