Advertising, Marketing Dilemma

czar

Expert
PA
Since I am pretty new to the insurance business, I am not quite sure what is or isn't too common as far as advertising practices go. I am an independent agent for Aflac, who has pretty strict advertising guidelines. They make available some resources, but leave a pretty big grey area in many regards. Even after contacting ad reps in HQ, I was left with even more confusion.

There are no indications that advertising *myself* is not legit, and I've been interested in using any combination of a short classified ad, fliers, or car magnets. I wouldn't mention the Aflac name, just for example:

"Term and Whole Life Insurance
Up to $xxxk
Call my number for appointment"

Do other insurance companies have vague but strict advertising regulations? I know by law, there are limitations, but I just want to know if it something like the potential ads I've mentioned might be something I could pursue.

Re: Advertising/marketing dilemma...

It would seem that as long as you are compliant with your state DOI and don't mention any company (Aflac) specifically, you should be able to advertise as you wish. I advertise in local publications, never use my carriers name, and therefore don't need to submit my ads for company compliance.

Very interesting. I would like to know your response rate on your publication advertising - also what or what kind of publications do you advertise in?

I'm somewhat new too and am not happy with the ROI on the internet leads. Those companies are all thiefs. I've started with an online dialer and am somewhat encouraged by the results. EXCLUSIVE leads and cheap.

I would not mention a face number "up to $XXXK". I would just say something like, "for the best rates on term life, call..."

Or, just say, "Do you have supplemental benefits at your place of work?.." then a phone number -or something.

keep it simple.

btw, twenty years ago I sold major med, I would put a very simple ad about health insurance in a publication that was a "shopper" type, a classifieds -type paper. I got about one sale a month. Back then it was like $10 a week- I looked into it around here, now, and it's like $20 a week, so the cost has doubled in 20 years, but still not bad.

Last edited:

Thanks for the replies. The insight gives me a confidence boost, for sure.

JHenderson-as far as types of publications, I'd probably look mostly for classified ads in local newspapers. I guess a few weeks couldn't hurt for experiment.

Few years back I tested some smaller scale newspaper advertising and got some better than average results. Had a small photo of myself with a small caption underneath. Something like "Why are your friends and neighbors calling me first ?" then bullet points for , savings up to 37%, easy monthly payments, informative client newsletters, same day callbacks, etc, etc. Just my name and #. Got a very good ROI.

Few years back I tested some smaller scale newspaper advertising and got some better than average results. Had a small photo of myself with a small caption underneath. Something like "Why are your friends and neighbors calling me first ?" then bullet points for , savings up to 37%, easy monthly payments, informative client newsletters, same day callbacks, etc, etc. Just my name and #. Got a very good ROI.

That is much better than the original ad idea, assuming the extra expense is warranted. On the original ad, I would at least drop the "Call for appointment" since that would be a deal breaker for many. "Call for more information" or something on that order would be better.

Thanks again for the comments. I'll definitely have time to get some ideas hashed out for a solid push into the new year.

Back