advise please

The learning curve for individual health is at least six months. Here's the question of the year; do you need an advance on commissions?

The answer is yes and no, yes to cover expenses starting out kinda but no for living expenses I have a financial support system.

And I think my thread got hi-jacked <G>

I became completely independent right out of UGA. No one trained me on a single product or underwriting guideline. I gathered up all the brochures of every company in my state and hand wrote a spreadsheet comparing benefits. I then created another spreadsheet of underwriting guidelines. For about 2 weeks straight before I sold I spent 8 hours a day studying and researching the plans - not unlike studying for finals. At 10pm at night my wife would just shake her head - I'd be at the kitchen table with brochure sprawled across it - note pad and pen in hand.

When I was done I cold-called about 3 hours a day so I didn't have any expenses while getting off the ground. It's hard enough to find what to say to clients that not only works but fits your personality - you don't need hundreds of week of expenses on top of it.

When I started contacting prospects I gathered up all of their health info then started doing pre-screens with the various companies. I'd then go back to my client and let them know which company I'd recommend and why.

The bottom line for me was at 36 years old, when I got into the biz, I was done. I was done going job to job and this was gonna be my career. Lawyers and doctors spend 7 or 8 years of schplans they sell.
ooling to get into their field. All I had to do was intense research and study.

I know agents who have been selling health for years - can't tell you a thing about the limitations and exclusions of the

Thank you this was great help and well said. I will study and get all I can starting tonight.

The answer is yes and no, yes to cover expenses starting out kinda but no for living expenses I have a financial support system.

And I think my thread got hi-jacked <G>

A financial support system? Hmmm, the psychology in me wants to talk about that one. Here's my take on it. Some agents are quite content with as-earned and like the feeling of knowing that they are going to get paid whether or not they submit a deal while others prefer advances and want their money now. Personally, I like both, although I favor advances because I'm not stupid with my money, nor do I right crappy business.

Building up an as-earned income is a nice way to reduce stress so you don't have to worry about closing a deal, but I think advances should be at least 60% of your business. Why do you ask. The principle of other people's money.

Work towards a nice $5000 AV every week with an advance contract and put another $5000 a week as earned as well. After about 6 or so months you will be a lot more confident and at piece because you'll have built up an income stream to get your through the rough times.

A financial support system? Hmmm, the psychology in me wants to talk about that one. Here's my take on it. Some agents are quite content with as-earned and like the feeling of knowing that they are going to get paid whether or not they submit a deal while others prefer advances and want their money now. Personally, I like both, although I favor advances because I'm not stupid with my money, nor do I right crappy business.

Building up an as-earned income is a nice way to reduce stress so you don't have to worry about closing a deal, but I think advances should be at least 60% of your business. Why do you ask. The principle of other people's money.

Work towards a nice $5000 AV every week with an advance contract and put another $5000 a week as earned as well. After about 6 or so months you will be a lot more confident and at piece because you'll have built up an income stream to get your through the rough times.

Thanks for the advise, I learned how to budget long ago and I have a partner that pays for living expenses so there is no pressure to work. I was the one who wanted to work and have the support behind me at least at home. I do have goals though and will be working to ensure we retire comfortably.
I am looking into IH ,term, suppliments and someone to start with til I learn the ropes.

Don't take this the wrong way but it's been my experience that new agents who don't "have" to make money don't. Although I post a lot I do so to break up the monotony of calling. I started calling at 10am and have generated 3 leads so far after 24 dials. I actually post between calls or to take a break from calls to post. The truth is I'm on the phone about 8 total hours a day. If I don't make money it's over. My wife stays at home.

Last edited:
Back