advise please

Nomore4me

Hi

I just received my L&H license and was taken in by AFLAC I have only been with them for about a week and am already very disappointed. There has been no training and they are wanting me to go out and do nothing but call people, but I feel like a fool when people ask questions I cannot answer. I was told not to worry about this but to just get the appointment and I will learn later ? HU ? I am willing to work, but am looking for a company that might take the time to start a new person in this business.

Is there a better agency to start with ? I have a ton of contacts but am not real willling to hand them over to AFLAC as of yet.

I am very new to the insurance game, but had been in sales for many years. Location is AZ.

Thanks
user_online.gif

have they given you the toy ducks yet.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, no training is your cue to leave any outfit. In fact, talking about detailed training and support is one of the things all new agents should discuss before accepting a position - it's just that new agents don't know what questions to ask. I know an agent in MD - Aflac sent him to cold-call in businesses mainly in Spanish areas. He signed up a bunch of low-wage earners and it all blew back on him.

Although I don't have a suggestion for an agency I do have questions for you to ask you new employer:

1) What kind of training will I receive? Classroom? Webinar?

2) How do my commissions work? What would I make on the average sale?

3) Can you walk me through a typical day when I start from 9am until I stop?

4) Do leads cost money? If so, how much and how many appointments/sale can I expect out of "X" number of leads?

Question three pretty much exposes the show. You're asking exactly how you'll keep busy for an entire 8 hours and most managers don't know how to answer that except for "Well you'll generate your own clients." But press on - exactly how will those clients be generated? B to B? If so, in what areas?

Ask for the math. If you asked me for "the math" regarding health insurance and I was running an Assurant outfit at 15% commish it would go like this:

"You'll telemarket 4 hours a day and generate 4 leads per hour. You'll close 1 out of 25 leads so that's 80 leads a week and 3 deals. The average deal is $3,500 AV X 15% = $525 X 3 deals = $1,575.

There - now you know the math. If anyone give you "fuzzy math" like you'll make $3,000 a week "easily" you'll want to meet those agents and see if you can hang out with them for a day. And when you ask that the reply will be "ummmm.....no." And there you have it.

What for "it sounds to good to be true" like "you just buy internet leads at $8 a pop, close 1 out of 10 and there you have it." Really, so agents get 50 leads a week, close 5 deals and make $200,000? Doubtful.

At the end of any interview, after you know everything if you doesn't seem like a lot of work then pass. Nothing easy makes money.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for your info

I understand and thought I did ask those questions especially about the training I was under the impression that I was going to be sent to a school of some sort . Sounds like I need to move on which I think was my plan anyway after the answers I received to last weeks question from the person who is suppose to be helping me.

Hope you dont mind but I have been stalking many of your post <G> you put some wonderful information out for people and I thank you for that.

Not a problem. Always have agencies "work it backwards" for you. They say you'll make $2,000 in a week? Fine "So how many deals does it take to make $2,000? And how many leads to get a deal?"

Yes, you'll be lied to and that's fine. Cut your losses immediately especially when it comes to training or lack there of it. Actually meeting agents who are currently successful is key. I just failed to take a job selling MA plans because they refused to produce an agent who was making what they claimed could be made.

It's also why I took the job at UGA selling Mega. They had none of the typical warning signs which are the manager's 24 years old, the office is in a bad area of town or the office is simply low-class, no one's making money and their top rep's driving around with a donut on his car. The UGA office was fantastic, in a very nice area, the manager was in his 40's and several reps made well in excess of $200,000 and had the cars to prove it. The lesson there is research what they tell you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise the only thing I left out was the details of training everything else seemed ok and I did check salaries wasnt lied to too badly in that area but wasnt given the complete truth either. I think maybe the lack of patients from this person might be my problem while many can do a job not many can teach it and without the proper tools I will not be sucessfull .

Hi

I was thinking the AFLAC type stuff, that seemed ok to me but once I started talking to people there is a great need for medical but I had read its almost impossible to get a group qualified in AZ, is it also the same way with individual ? I have a ton to learn, and dont know the in's and outs of anything right now. Life seems ok, I really dont know to be honest as I dont know much about the actual real life of selling these products. I do know I would like to help people. The only real contact I have had in this for selling a product was this AFLAC deal I think once I had some training I could sell any of products I am licensed for but I really dont know anything.

Back