Aflac

tnks2hp

Expert
I am newly licensed and looking for an insurance company with good training.

I've been sitting on the fence about this career change but now I am planning on being a captive agent so I can be trained well. I did ask all the questions during my interview with Aflac I asked a lot of questions and it sounds like it may work for me.ButI am really scared choosing the wrong company.

I wanted to get some feedback about Aflac. What are the pros and cons of working for them?

And what other companies are suitable for someone new to insurance sales?

Thanks in advance :)

P.S. I got my license because I wanted to work in insurance a year or so ago going through Bankers life, but for some personal reasons I wasn't able to continue with them and don't want to go back there.

I would prefer working for Bankers than working for AFLAC. However, AFLAC may be a more honorable gig.

If training is what you are looking for, and you are already ok with selling supplements, let me suggest Combined instead of Aflac. They sell similar products, but management is very dedicated to making sure you are very well trained. That's a top down mandate, so you will get the same training no matter who you end up working for (though liking your manager is always a plus.)

Thanks for the replies.

After speaking with the regional manager at Aflac, I found out that I wouldn't be a captive agent there. I would be independent and can sell other products if I choose to do so. I also have an option to either work within a group where you make less money, but its designed for new agents to make at least some money until they get their feet on the ground.After wards you choose if you want to work within this group or sell on your own and keep all the commission.

I think selling other products will come in handy over the upcoming year since one day I would like to do that. I wouldn't even know where to start now! I am just a clueless newbie!

I am almost sure that I'll end up with Aflac since they will do one on one training as well as group training. I think I've ended up in a descent office. They are run differently based on who is in charge there and if I don't like the way they run things I can leave.

I'm very excited about starting this position as soon as I tie up some loose ends.

Good luck but remember you were warned.

If they offered the option to work in the group then you might take the Aflac Gig. I personally know the top 2 aflac offices in Orange County and they are only successful because they work together even though they are independent.

They have designated agents that do servicing - renewals and referrals while the other agents do sales.
If you feel strong about the district manager you would be assigned to then thats the best indication. They get paid 100% of the first year premium so they give 20-30% or w.e to the servicing team so you dont have to worry about the account. Servicing is the biggest issue in the supplemental normally because they are single producers.

The team environment would be perfect for you as a newbie. I would highly suggest using some technology to help you keep track of your cold calling.

PS if you choose the Aflac gig let me know... Im willing to share some techniques that worked for them.

Back