Allstate 3 Options/offers Need Your Feedback Plz

michiganagent

If you have any comments about Allstate or these 3 options, please share your feedback. Thanks! Michigan Agent

I'm talking with 3 different Allstate Agencies. One offers independent contract status with up to 35% commission. Allows me to continue selling health and life insurance with my current appointments. I would focus on P&C with Allstate.

2nd Allstate agency offers independent contractor status with base and lower commissions. Again I focus on P&C with Allstate and continue selling Life and Health with my own appointments (carriers)

3rd agency offers employee status with Allstate. Base with zero commissions. With this Allstate agency, I'm only able to sell Allstate products. I'm not on my own clock. I accumulate vacation each year (paid time off), etc. Employee restrictions might be tough to get used to. I've been an independent agent for 6 years calling my own shots and hours.

I'm leaning toward option 1 or 2. Anyone have any feedback to share about working in one of the options with Allstate? Thanks in advance.

My guess is you are not working for Allstate, but in all 3 options you are working for an agent that is appointed with Allstate.

Except with option 3, you have to make sure that Allstate is reasonably competitive in your area and can write business. Option 3 you probably don't care as much, except you need the agent to stay in business.

Since you are talking agency, not carrier (i.e., not really Allstate), it is tough for anyone here to give much advice on which way is the best. If you need a solid, regular income, option 3. If you have some savings and not much in bills, option 1 would probably be best for potential, but the first few months can be slim pickings while you learn your way around a P&C sale and build a pipeline.

Dan

If you have any comments about Allstate or these 3 options, please share your feedback. Thanks! Michigan Agent

I'm talking with 3 different Allstate Agencies. One offers independent contract status with up to 35% commission. Allows me to continue selling health and life insurance with my current appointments. I would focus on P&C with Allstate.

2nd Allstate agency offers independent contractor status with base and lower commissions. Again I focus on P&C with Allstate and continue selling Life and Health with my own appointments (carriers)

3rd agency offers employee status with Allstate. Base with zero commissions. With this Allstate agency, I'm only able to sell Allstate products. I'm not on my own clock. I accumulate vacation each year (paid time off), etc. Employee restrictions might be tough to get used to. I've been an independent agent for 6 years calling my own shots and hours.

I'm leaning toward option 1 or 2. Anyone have any feedback to share about working in one of the options with Allstate? Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming Option 1 means 35 percent of what the agency earns....Are you sure that option 2 isn't telling you the commission you will earn? otherwise the are basically identical.

Option 2 has a base salary, option 1 does not.
35% (of the agency commission) for option 1 is somewhat poor. Its hard to make a living on that, though I assume he wouldn't have to do the service work on the policy, just sell??? Wouldn't be as bad that way.

Dan

didnt allsnake just drop commissions to 8% for the AGENT, how little will you get?

You could go to an Independent agent and probaly make MORE in commission than the Allstate agent actualy makes!

didnt allsnake just drop commissions to 8% for the AGENT, how little will you get?

You could go to an Independent agent and probaly make MORE in commission than the Allstate agent actualy makes!

That's the base commission and only a part of the comp agents get from Allstate. From what I understand it was also voluntary to move to the new commission structure, but that might have not happened. What I do know is that overall the comp is much higher than 8% (or even 9%) and that those numbers are misleading.

That's the base commission and only a part of the comp agents get from Allstate. From what I understand it was also voluntary to move to the new commission structure, but that might have not happened. What I do know is that overall the comp is much higher than 8% (or even 9%) and that those numbers are misleading.

Wow! I was going to say the Allstate commission structure must have changed dramatically since I had my last meeting with an agency this past Monday. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You could go to an Independent agent and probaly make MORE in commission han the Allstate agent actualy makes!

Question: If I remain independent as I'm right now with Health and Life, what are some top rated carriers I can get appointed with to sell Auto and Homeowners? I called Progressive and Gieco (sp) but they seem to be just call centers.

Last edited:
as a new P&C guy, no preferred carrier will add you, unless you are part of a cluster.

My Allstate friend says her commission is 8% now, but they can make 45% of their yearly income IN BONUSES, which are obviously tied to profitability, quotas, etc....hard to live under that pressure that you HAVE to hit certain things to maintain your income, one large claim and your screwed.....

Back