Another Newb Asking where to Start!!!

NCScott

Hello to all. I am looking to confirm my suspicion here. I am 46 with a family and looking to make a career change. Not currently employed, so now seems like the time to change. I had not even thought about insurance until several recruiters starting sending emails. I have received one from Mutual of Omaha, American Income Life, USHealth Advisors and Family Heritage.

After doing some research, which is how I found this forum, I am really intrigued. I cannot see, with the proper desire, discipline, determination and system, why I could not make a successful run for the “1 Percenters” who have made it. I have 3 of the 4 – just missing the system (training, knowledge, etc.)

I could go another 6 to 10 months without income but have no real desire to do so. What is most imperative at the moment is receiving the correct knowledge and best training to be successful. In that end I am sure this is but the first of many posts asking of those of you who have gone before.

From what I have already gleaned from reading other posts, I am looking at the L&H route and will look at going independent once I have learned the ropes. I have not spoken to anyone as of yet but am leaning toward Mutual of Omaha to get the training and experience. I am in the Charlotte, NC area. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott

No reason to not start Indy. Check out fexcontracting.com That will explain some things on how to get started.

They are a great IMO for selling Final Expense of you choose to go that route. They have all the carriers you could ever want/need, training by real producers, great lead options and street level comps.

No reason to not start Indy. Check out fexcontracting.com That will explain some things on how to get started.

They are a great IMO for selling Final Expense of you choose to go that route. They have all the carriers you could ever want/need, training by real producers, great lead options and street level comps.
I second this. Pick a niche, like Final Expense or Medicare, and start off independent. The best way to learn in this business is to get out there, get your teeth kicked in, and go back out and do it again the next day.

Ah, the University of Hard Knocks! I have post doctorate degrees from this alma mater. :biggrin:

I appreciate the replies HoosierLife and EmphasisJoe. While I do not necessary have to have income in the short future, capital could be hard to come by. I am sure I will have more questions but I will check out fexcontracting.com first to see what is answered there.

From what I have read, FE can be hard to get in the door with. I thought I saw on the forum somewhere that another tool was used to set the appointment and then FE was brought up as an afterthought.

Thanks,

Scott

Ah, the University of Hard Knocks! I have post doctorate degrees from this alma mater. :biggrin: I appreciate the replies HoosierLife and EmphasisJoe. While I do not necessary have to have income in the short future, capital could be hard to come by. I am sure I will have more questions but I will check out fexcontracting.com first to see what is answered there. From what I have read, FE can be hard to get in the door with. I thought I saw on the forum somewhere that another tool was used to set the appointment and then FE was brought up as an afterthought. Thanks, Scott

Some people use a Med Supp lead and try to pivot to FE, but you can just buy FE leads.

Hi NC, you mentioned in your opener that you wanted to "confirm your suspicions". What suspicions do you have that need confirmation?

To start, being a generalist is not the way to go. Find a niche market and learn that inside and out. Once you're proficient, slowly add products, if you want to.

As am Indy, I have products from three health carriers, three personal lines carriers, and multiple life carriers. I started with one PL, no health carrier, and one life carrier. Where I am now is sometimes overwhelming, and I know that I would not have made it trying to operate at this level in the beginning. As I gained product knowledge, I added carriers to have more options. Grew to present size over a span of 12 years. While I was proficient at life and health, I had to learn P &C on the fly. Major problem! I was lucky to have a p&c vet who was willing to guide me thru the first 1-2 years and advise me on critical issues. Get the knowlege of a specific niche, and add to it as you grow. You will grow naturally as long as you are prospecting and listening to what clients are saying.

Latest posts

Back