Any Tips for Networking with CPAs

Relatively new... Captive Agent doing p&c, life, and mut funds.

Regarding life insurance, anyone have any tips on establishing good relationships with accountants?

I had an acquaintance who had someone walk in the door asking for a a paid up life policy based in an accountants recommendation. A mid six figure premium.

I am guessing some accountants believe in in the power of whole life , while some probably do not. Nevertheless, would love a way to establish telationships with CPAs as a referral source. Dont seem to find many in BNI or similar types.

Cold callthem? Preapproach letters? Any ideas?

thanks all.

It's tough. I believe you need a in with family and friends. The CPAs are conservative, do not want to refer, and blah, blah, blah. The AICPA conducts seminars. You might want to attend them . Other wise, a freaking bar.

Don

My wife is a CPA but she works in our insurance agency. But she is very active with two CPA associations. I attend meetings with them once a year (I play blackjack while the CPAs are in meetings all day.) at dinner I will be at a table with a group of them and learn a lot about how they work and what they do.

Here's the part that will help you. The large CPA firms are similar to law firms. The young CPAs are the grunts. They do all the heavy lifting for all the partners who have all the knowledge (and money.) in order to advance the grunts have to bring business to the firm. They are not marketers and most of them are uncomfortable trying to network beyond people they already know.

If you really want to network with the younger CPAs it wouldn't be hard to set up lunch meetings to meet them and explain what you do, ask them to speak at any engagements you speak at, or ask permission to refer them to any clients you run across who need accounting services. They are trying to connect with people like you if you are a rain-maker. Make sure it's understood that the relationship is a two way street.

That's the easy way. The tougher road would be to get in to the "already made it" partners. But I think if you can work your way in the door with the right upwardly mobile grunt, you could eventually have some decent connections.

The single man shop CPA firms are more like us. They don't want to work for others and are more independent. They are also struggling to add customers and are terrible at self promotion. If you could get with the right one of them and bring some value to them (introductions) they are in a great position to help you.

I know of 2 "heavy hitters" that swear by the winning with CPAs program. It is very pricey, but I believe that they have partnered with Advisers Excel to make the program affordable for their producers.

Full disclosure: I haven't used it personally and do not have any vested interest in the program.

I know of 2 "heavy hitters" that swear by the winning with CPAs program. It is very pricey, but I believe that they have partnered with Advisers Excel to make the program affordable for their producers.

Full disclosure: I haven't used it personally and do not have any vested interest in the program.

How "pricey" is "Pricey"? Does anyone know more about this particular method? I can't find more information beyond the introduction video on their website?

Relatively new... Captive Agent doing p&c, life, and mut funds.

Regarding life insurance, anyone have any tips on establishing good relationships with accountants?

I had an acquaintance who had someone walk in the door asking for a a paid up life policy based in an accountants recommendation. A mid six figure premium.

I am guessing some accountants believe in in the power of whole life , while some probably do not. Nevertheless, would love a way to establish telationships with CPAs as a referral source. Dont seem to find many in BNI or similar types.

Cold callthem? Preapproach letters? Any ideas?

thanks all.

Whatever you do... stick to the facts... and their own publications, if at all possible.

Here's a good one on the advanced use of a permanent whole life insurance policy:

Attachments

• CPA-wealth-provider-Jan-2007.pdf
    93.4 KB · Views: 15
Back