Baltimore HR Professional Looking for Agent Help

MDHRInsurance

Hi all,

I'm a full-time HR professional in the Baltimore area. I work for one of the local large universities where I hire a lot, **a lot of people on a monthly basis. Most of the people hired ask about alternative benefit help, such as auto insurance, property insurance, life, disability, etc..

In a former HR role, I worked for a larger insurance company. At that company they required ALL employees to obtain their licenses "just in case" opportunities would arise. Later it was required to start selling insurance. I left that company.

My licenses are still active in Maryland. What I'm really looking for is to partner up with a local agent where I can send referrals for business and write some of my own with some help. I still plan to work my full-time position as I feel this is a nice entry point for a natural market.

If you know of any companies or agencies that would allow me to do this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Just FYI - writing business yourself on your company's employees may present a conflict of interest. Even steering people to specific agents where you get compensated would also be considered a conflict of interest.

Not sure this would be a good idea, professionally speaking.

DHK is definitely point-on here. Take 'first things first'. In all probability you will be precluded from doing what you plan. However, it may not be impossible to accomplish your stated goals but make sure you have any related restrictions and/or permissions clearly understood and you also have a legal opinion if anything is at all unclear. It must be in writing to protect yourself. Be upfront with your plans. Take great care. Read the company policy on solicitation. Then, still definitely get legal advice before attempting to proceed.

Just FYI - writing business yourself on your company's employees may present a conflict of interest. Even steering people to specific agents where you get compensated would also be considered a conflict of interest.

Not sure this would be a good idea, professionally speaking.

Beyond that.

What will your boss think if you are getting phone calls at work about insurance? What if the company starts getting complaints about the insurance?

Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't. Maybe there are consequences if it does and maybe there isn't. The question is, are you comfortable with that risk?

Back