Becoming An Agent Is A Pain In The A##

I have went to examfx passed my test with a 86% then took the Indiana state exam and failed it. Took it again and passed. So now I have my Life & Health License. Now I have applied to become appointed with Colonial Life and United Health One. Problem is I have credit issues and am worried that I will not get appointed. I have came this far and don't want it to all be a waste.

Anyone have any suggestions for me about what to do if am denied?

I have went to examfx passed my test with a 86% then took the Indiana state exam and failed it. Took it again and passed. So now I have my Life & Health License. Now I have applied to become appointed with Colonial Life and United Health One. Problem is I have credit issues and am worried that I will not get appointed. I have came this far and don't want it to all be a waste.

Anyone have any suggestions for me about what to do if am denied?

Yes, request appointments with other carriers. As money comes in work on existing credit issues, welcome to the world of Insurance sales.

Don't be too concerned. Credit issues are scrutinized more when there is an advance on commissions. The insurance company would want to ensure you would be likely to pay them back for business they advanced you on but dropped off after a month or two. I don't believe UnitedHealthOne advances on commissions. So, while they will likely consider it you will likely still be appointed. Other companies that might normally advance might just put you on an as-earned contract and other companies that don't have as-earned contracts might not appoint you.

If your credit issues are due to something like medical bills or things that you really didn't have much control over send a letter with the contract application explaining why you are in a bind.

A lot of companies will take that into consideration.

In the future, you may want to transition away from the "Ready, Fire, Aim" philosophy. You will save yourself a lot of grief by doing some defensive planning with these kinds of issues.

Colonial Life has just spoke to me on phone I did not receive a clear answer on if approved but seems as I am now taking a test 25 questions long and open book seems as I might have been approved tho we will see. United Health One called also to confirm that I should be active in a few days. So far I think I made it ;) Tho I will update as things continue.

One thing I will say is I would of know the process involved in this I would of not quit my job. What happened was I was a Project Manager and was looking to move into the field of insurance. I replied to a add of Colonial Life and had two interviews. I was hired and told to go to examfx.com and study and prepare for my test. I quit my job and began the journey. Colonial Life has been calling every few day during this month process to check up on me and see how things are progressing. I feel very comfortable with Colonial and feel I will succeed with them. Just want that welcome call;)

The issue goes beyond commission advances. An agent, for example, who is 90 days past due on their mortgage is more prone to engage in unethical activities.

There is bad credit and "bad credit." Just simply having bad credit shouldn't be much of an issue. But charged off accounts and current late status on car loans, mortgage, etc...is more of a flag.

United Health One called to today to tell me I am active in their system, and Colonial Life called to request more information from a misdemeanor charge I had in Ohio in 2005. Guess my credit is not as bad as I thought. The misdemeanor charge is something really small that I forgot about and have sent them a email explaining.

I thank everyone for their comments and advice.

The issue goes beyond commission advances. An agent, for example, who is 90 days past due on their mortgage is more prone to engage in unethical activities.

Wow, that is a huge leap to state that as a fact.
As a former loan officer and current "old" dude, I'd like to advise that many things can lead to unethical activities...like a short skirt, large "eyes" and opportunity. But they, don't always in fact lead to unethical activities.

No offense to John, but that brush was a bit too broad. Some folks need to hear more of the story before they go around half cocked with limited info.

Wow, that is a huge leap to state that as a fact.
As a former loan officer and current "old" dude, I'd like to advise that many things can lead to unethical activities...like a short skirt, large "eyes" and opportunity. But they, don't always in fact lead to unethical activities.

No offense to John, but that brush was a bit too broad. Some folks need to hear more of the story before they go around half cocked with limited info.
He didn't say that all do.. He said they are more prone to do so. A person who facing a sever credit crunch will face a stronger temptation to do something they would not even consider doing if everything was going smoothly.

Latest posts

Back