Becoming an Independent Insurance Agent

Re: Becoming a health insurance agent

Might be a dumb question, but.... If a Life company I am trying to get appointed with is requiring me to go through a GA, do I have any other ties with that GA besides that one company that directed me to them? I ask because the GA that sent me the paperwork told me, "Mutual of Omaha is great and we have a lot of other companies too". Got me thinking that maybe this is a bigger commitment than I thought it actually was. For instance, if I sign with him and I write a health plan or medicare supplement, will he be involved in that as well or only the Mutual of Omaha life plan I contacted him about originally?

Thank you for this post. It is really good and I really appreciate the time you and others on this board put into helping out us lost newbies.

Sincerely,
GPaq

When you work with a life GA, you contract with each carrier separately (usually the GA will do this for you and your agent ID will be reflective of that GA). So if you contract for MoO with a GA they will assign you an agent number for that carrier so that it is done through them and that will be your number with that carrier.

You can do other products or carriers with any GA you want. For example you could have MoO through this GA, West Coast Life through another GA and so on.

I have found that once you have a good GA with a good portfolio of carriers/products, you will most likely want to use that GA for all of the business.

thanks for your help. I have been doing senior products and this is all new to me. Could you please tell me the right things to look for in a GA? I live So. California and I am sure their are plenty to choose from, but I wouldn't know what to ask? The GA I have spoken to seems to be knowledgeable and a likable guy, but....

Last edited:

Hey Rick,

I live in Huntington Beach and if this offer is ever available, I would be more than happy to drive to listen in on some pro's talk shop. Looks like I missed this round, but please keep me in mind if you set this up again.

take care,
George

I'm in Whittier, give me a shout the next time this comes up again.

Reuben

This forum is a little overwhelming at first, but here goes...

I live in new jersey and am looking to move into insurance sales. I have owned my own construction business for five years now and before that worked for Ecolab ( institutional sales/ 50%comm), MCI small business (telecom b2b / 50% comm), Western pest control (residential sales / 50% comm.) and Lynk Systems (merchant serv./ 100% comm). I am well versed in sales and am a "pull-close" type salesperson. My leads are all self generated through marketing and my website. My close rate is roughly 70-80%. I have looked at Mutual of Omaha site and replied to an ad on monster.com.

I guess what I am asking is, what do you recommend for a complete newbie in your industry as a first and second step?

This forum is a little overwhelming at first, but here goes...

I live in new jersey and am looking to move into insurance sales. I have owned my own construction business for five years now and before that worked for Ecolab ( institutional sales/ 50%comm), MCI small business (telecom b2b / 50% comm), Western pest control (residential sales / 50% comm.) and Lynk Systems (merchant serv./ 100% comm). I am well versed in sales and am a "pull-close" type salesperson. My leads are all self generated through marketing and my website. My close rate is roughly 70-80%. I have looked at Mutual of Omaha site and replied to an ad on monster.com.

I guess what I am asking is, what do you recommend for a complete newbie in your industry as a first and second step?

New Jersey is a tough market- three health carriers there and I believe they are guaranteed issue. I would suggest greener pastures in life, disability and long term care sales

AmeriHealth HMO - New Jersey
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
Oxford Health Plans, Inc.

New Jersey is a tough market- three health carriers there and I believe they are guaranteed issue. I would suggest greener pastures in life, disability and long term care sales

AmeriHealth HMO - New Jersey
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
Oxford Health Plans, Inc.

I know horizon is. I have it for my wife. The one thing I found is that a lot of my more wealthy customers come from the insurance industry. It seems that it may be an industry where I might bode well with my sales background.

what is an HMO? and can an agent with a health and life license sell it?

Back