Becoming an Independent Insurance Agent

I focus primarily on Seniors in Georgia. Since I am relatively new to this field, I want to make sure that I do not over-step my boundaries as far as my GA is concerned. I am in the process of learning the "do's" and "don'ts", I guess. I do like my GA, but I feel as though I am being held back. I do have an awesome mentor who is also an independent agent in the office. I am very thankful for that. I guess I need to start thinking like an Independent agent as opposed to a Captive one. Thanks for the input!!

I focus primarily on Seniors in Georgia. Since I am relatively new to this field, I want to make sure that I do not over-step my boundaries as far as my GA is concerned. I am in the process of learning the "do's" and "don'ts", I guess. I do like my GA, but I feel as though I am being held back. I do have an awesome mentor who is also an independent agent in the office. I am very thankful for that. I guess I need to start thinking like an Independent agent as opposed to a Captive one. Thanks for the input!!

Can you explain a little bit more about your contracting arrangement? You mention you have a mentor that's independent, but you aren't?
I work primarily with Senior market. There is a lot to learn compared to other segments of the market. There's a lot of ways to help seniors and to hurt them too. Be careful...especially if you are being taught just Med Advantage and not Med Supp.

If its Medicare advantage you can't cold call prospects, I don't think. You can call prospects for medical supplements however. I would also say always stay independent, be in control of your own success and do what is legal, ethical and works for you.

I am an independent agent. I have trained for both MA and Med Supps. I always want to act with the utmost integrity when it comes to my clients. I never want to inadvertently cause them any harm or advise them of anything that is not in their best interest. I am glad I found this site where people seem to genuinely want to help those of us new to the business.

Hi, I'm Sandi and I am a new independent agent for life, accident, health and HMO. I'm looking forward to any advice of how I can get prospects. How does
this work.

All lead programs suck haha. On a serious note, im big on cold calling. Obviously networking for referrals is best.

Hi, I'm Sandi and I am a new independent agent for life, accident, health and HMO. I'm looking forward to any advice of how I can get prospects. How does
this work.

Networking and direct mail. Get involved in your local chamber of commerce. Join a networking group. Meet all the P&C agents you can (independent is usually best, State Farm, Allstate, etc sell health). Assuming you are doing group, too, DM to new sales tax license's is a great way to get in front of new businesses. Send a letter to everyone you know, even acquaintances, announcing your new business venture.

Good luck!

I agree there is a ton of great information on this forum but it can get a bit overwhelming to search through a million posts.

this work.
Ask for referrals or that your clients recommend you to their friends. Ask your clients for the names of their adult kids and send a letter of introduction to them with your card. Tell them about what you did for their Mom or Dad, and what you handle in general. We've gotten a lot of referrals this way from our senior client base.

Hi everyone. Thanks to you all for the insightful information. I am newly licensed in Accident/Health and Medicare Supplements/LTC in NC. I entered into this for the right reasons. Can you please give me some guidance into the specifics of what I will need to do to get "certified" to sell Medicare Supplements, MA plans and PDP. Another question would be, what does the AHIP training consist of and can this be taken anytime during the year? I have purchased my E & O insurance. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I have a lot to learn and any additional advice you wish to share would be greatly appreciated. My plan is to go independant. Thanks so much!!

Back