Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance

Reply to Becoming a State Farm Agent     
Old 05-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #1081
Guru
Gooner on Becoming a State Farm Agent

State: Gooner is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Gooner is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Becoming a State Farm Agent
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ray View Post

If I wasn't on my cell I'd give you a thumbs up just for reading that ridiculous wall of text.
I skimmed it. .
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Becoming a State Farm Agent
Old 06-30-2017, 05:16 AM   #1082

State: Guarding Destiny is an Insurance Agent from
Becoming a State Farm Agent Re: Becoming a State Farm Agent
State Farm is now rated the fourth worst insurance company in the USA, so I would highly suggest going with a higher rated company; one that stands for ethics, so you can hold your head high.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:37 AM   #1083

State: JRSOne is an Insurance Agent from Illinois
Hello All, I really wish I would have found these forums earlier.

I don't want to bore everyone with a life story but, this might help with some of my questions. I have been in hospitality management for over 20 years, 10+ with the current company, and have 6 direct reports and approx 100 people under them. I currently make around $75K/yr base, plus around $15-20K a year in bonuses.

I have to be honest, I am not really all that enthusiastic about sales, however I have come to learn that I now have to sell in my current job and over the past several years I have gotten a knack for B2B sales. I was considering making a career change and I have been searching for opportunities for the past 6 months or so. I spoke with a recruiter for SF and really went into it without much of an expectation. I ended up really liking the opportunity and have made it past the first couple of stages and will be presenting my business plan proposal in a few days.

After reading some messages here over the past few hours, I am having some of my own concerns realized. I am worried about going into debt and burning out in a few years. I honestly have confidence in my ability and don't plan to fail, but I am also realistic and know it's a possibility.

During the process of pursuing the SF opportunity, I was contacted by a Farmers Insurance agency and they are putting the pressure on me to go with them. I have met with them a few times and even spoke with an agent who is leaving due to some personal issues and is looking to sell her small book of business.

Again, JUST found this forum and interested in hearing some opinions. I had never thought of going independent and SF seems to give new agents a LOT of support.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #1084
Super Genius
DT1970 on Becoming a State Farm Agent

State: DT1970 is an Insurance Agent from Michigan
Received a standard SF recruiting letter via Linkedin this week. Typical stuff how impressed they are with your success, leadership, blah blah blah. The one thing I thought was interesting was the note mentioned taking over an existing SF agency.

Having read this entire thread color me skeptical. Do they typically use a "take over an agency" carrot with recruiting letters? And that really doesn't mean anything does it I suppose.

Would it be safe to assume they would not provide the current sales/revenues/makeup of the business book they are alluding to? Thought I would ask before I hit the delete key although I'm pretty sure I know the answers to these questions already
Reply to Becoming a State Farm Agent 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance