Becoming a State Farm Agent

I've recently spoke with a State Farm recruiter. I am planning on trying to pursue the opportunity that State Farm has to offer...

What should I expect from this? Is there anyone that has had experience with this process? Does anyone have any advice regarding anything to do with becoming a State Farm agent such as likely hood of success, are the products competitive enough to sell without having to beg people, etc etc.

Sorry I'm so vague, I'm just kind of looking to find out anything and everything about this before I jump into this career change.

I've taken their first level exam and was told that I am not State Farm material. Not sure what they're looking for.

Hello all, new to the forums and first time posting. I have read this thread in its entirty on my blackberry so I have not been able to distinguish all the states the different posters are posting from because the flag sizes are very small.

Last edited:
TO QUOTE GREENMAN:
3. Don't rely on what the company tells you - on paper (income "projections") or verbally. Worst case for you? Waste a minimum of two years of your career, potentially go in debt, a big F for failin at the job permanently on your resume, may have a home to sell in a community you don't belong in. Worst case for SF? Um, next applicant - we've got a great opportunity for you....
-------------------------------------------------------

Funny how people think SF has no investment in this or anything to lose.

Paying someone between 50k-150k during training, licensing the agents staff and paying their salary for 90 days while they train, giving a signing bonus, etc. is not much at stake I guess.

Bottom line: SF doesnt' make money by having agents not succeed. It wouldn't reach the Fortune 50 that way...just saying.

PS...Don't respond by saying I'm just a recruiter supporting SF. I'm just providing some balanced information.

28, MBA, not married - I say go for it.
After you get out from under their thumb, it's a good deal - not a great deal like it was 20 or 30 years ago, but a good deal.

This is where im at, (plenty of successful sales and Management skills, . Hate my JOB or JOBS that are out there to be had and wanting to settle into a career and nothing else would be condusive to my personality then having my own business/office.

I figure I have nothing to lose except credit if it all falls south. If It were easy then I guess everyone else would be doing it right? In life have to take risks, but granted i will be very weary of the contract when that time comes.

Last edited:
Funny how people think SF has no investment in this or anything to lose.

Paying someone between 50k-150k during training, licensing the agents staff and paying their salary for 90 days while they train, giving a signing bonus, etc. is not much at stake I guess.

Okay, I'm not with State Farm, so I might be speaking out of turn. Heck, I am speaking out of turn, but why would that stop me????

State Farm DOES have a commitment into an agent, as most P&C carriers do. The difference is the outcome when the agent doesn't make it. State Farm grew some policies at a very expensive rate. It does not threaten State Farms credit rating, status as a company, or the family of the owner of State Farm.

On the other hand, when an agent fails, it usually costs him a reasonable amount of money, threatens his credit rating, his livlihood and definitely has an impact on his (or her) family.

What's at stake for the 2 parties is drastically different.

I will say when I talked with State Farm about the 'opportunity', I was impressed with the support and training they offered. I did not get to see how that transacted into reality, but even thinking back on it, with all colored glasses removed, it appears they do a lot to get their agents started. At least as much, if not more, than other carriers. I have no real insite what happens after that step of getting the doors open.

Dan

i think state farm is looking for the manager type... not true entrepeneurs... managers to do it "their way good". if you are the employee type then state farm would be a good fit for you. if you are a free thinking entrepeneur then go independent.
just my opinion

Greed IS good. But only in moderation. If greed is not the problem at State Farm then the problem no doubt, is mismanagement. Regardless, the problem comes from corporate and not its current or past agents.

your post seems to summarize and be in line with alot of the other posts about selling life and the afe's not being out to get you but not necessarily being there to help you. (in a concise 1 post manner)

As a literaly an external candidate and figuretively an internal canidate that is doing my due diligence I appreciate the post above to not be a deterrence from trying to break into this business but an eye opener and beware of the dog sign making sure I know what im getting myself into.

Last edited:
Back