Becoming a State Farm Agent

Legion - while what you say is mostly true, it's also tired, tired general information in the agency force. Stop with the dramatics about getting fired - there's nothing in your post that's either new and certainly not anything that isn't true in all of corporate America. Let's see, your four uber-secrets are - drum roll -
1. You have to be able to sell the company's most profitable product - in our case life insurance.

2. It's who you are and who you know.

3. It's always going to be who you are and who you know.

and the final shocker.....

4. People employed by the company preach the company gospel.

If you are currently inside of a paper bag trying to figure out how to escape, the enlightment from Legion's post may well blind you. If, on the other hand, you have an IQ of 45 or higher, everything should be self-evident.

Sorry bud, but you are a few decades late with your "news" - and if you think you can get fired for actually putting into words what is being discussed in operations centers, AFO's and agent meetings all over the country - you should go shopping for extra nice panties this weekend, because it sounds like you are someone's beeeotch!

...and grab a towel for behind your ears - seems a little wet back there.

Have a good one.

Greenman, I am not a SF agent and have no interest in becoming one but your response to Legion seems a bit testy. Did he touch a nerve or is in my imagination?

Here are the things that some people don't realize when they first become a TICA State Farm agent. I could literally be fired for revealing this small facts, but I feel it is important for agency candidates to know the "rules" of the game so they are in the best position to succeed. It is best for the company, and better for the candidates.

1) Sell lots and lots of life insurance or you are fired. Minimum of 80 apps issued your first year, with enough premium to travel. No matter what other positive things you do, if you DON'T qualify to "travel." You are fired--next contestant please. (Don't say no one told you.)

2) There are two unwritten tracks into agency. Those candidates who come from INSIDE the company (internal candidates) and those who come from OUTSIDE the company (external candidates). The best books of business will never be posted--they go to managers who are "returning to service" to enjoy the sweet life of huge renewal checks of the fattest and biggest books in town. The rich do get richer. (This is neither fair, nor unfair. It is just the way it is.) The good to moderate books, even if they are posted, will go to those on an inside track. Somebody from a mid-level Fire Company management job. Somebody whose daddy is a big agent. Somebody who works in an AFO. Lastly, what remains are the picked over books from some crummy agents who let their books deteriorate over time and finally hung up their spurs. OR sometimes, there will be a book like that, only a previous new agent worked it so hard and squeezed every life policy out of it so he or she could then jump into management that there is not much left for the next newbie.

Of the new agents who fail, they are almost exclusively and always external candidates. (Probably because they don't know the things in this posting.)

3) Don't count on any more "assignments". Don't suck up to try to get more assignments. Don't complain when you don't get assignments. Just know that assignments go to the chosen ones--normally buddies of the AFE from "back in the day" or someone who has dirt on the AFE that the E wants to keep quiet or someone the E owes a big favor to for getting the E on an exotic trip. Don't delude yourself into thinking, "Gosh, if I work real hard, and drink the kool-aide, and travel now and then, my E will like me and give me a good chunk of policies." You will be disappointed and bitter. You could get lucky and get some assignments of policies, but if you start doing tricks thinking you are owed policies, you will be very bitter when they don't come (because they won't).

4) Your managers (AFC and AFE) are not there to be your business consultants. If you want business advice (and you should) go pay a small fee and get it independently from a third party. Your C and E are there to get you to sell whatever upper management tells them to get you to sell. (First of all, Life). Many managers are nice people. Many were agents at one time (however, it is startling how more and more new managers jumped out of agency after only one or two years). Be nice to your manager--he or she has a family and is a more good than bad. But if you think that your nice manager is there to truly help you with your business, and you rely on your manager for help with your business, you will be very disappointed when their answer to every problem you have is "Sell more life insurance" or "Hire more people to sell more life insurance".

That's it. Four simple truths that would get me fired if my name was found out.

If you are an internal candidate, you already know all this and are pissed off that I put it on the table. Too bad. Call me a liar if you can. BUT if you are an EXTERNAL candidate, or are thinking of becoming and EXTERNAL candidate, you now have no excuses for failure. You know the game. You know the rules. You know the truth. If you can take on a mediocre book of business that people on the inside did not want, and if you can push a LOT of life insurance (and win some trips) WHILE you also try to grow your business, you will be just fine. In fact, you will be a much tougher and smarter SOB than many of the internals who walked into a book of business twice the size of yours and just had to turn the lights on. Take pride in that.

However, if you DON'T think you can deal with items 1-4 above, or you don't think it's "fair", then you will be miserable if you become a new agent and will likely fail. And if for some reason you didn't fail in your first year, you will spend all your following days whining about how "unfair" the company is. Either way, now you now have no excuses.

Please post replies if you think I am correct, or incorrect. If you know who I am, because there are a lot of lurkers on this site, don't "out" me or in any way recognize me.

pretty much spot on

Legion -

What you said is very true, not just for State Farm, but probably every captive company around. You complete the core 'training' phase of your career, then tend to sit back. Then realize, oops, need to keep going at full speed.

Actually, this tends to be true in life. Hit a major milestone, you want to catch your breath.

Dan

Based upon the information contained in this thread why would anyone want to be a State Farm agent under the current set up???? I would much prefer to start with an INDY agency, learn the business, and then go Indy. Based upon what little I know isn't working with American Family or Nationwide a better deal?

Here are the things that some people don't realize when they first become a TICA State Farm agent. I could literally be fired for revealing this small facts, but I feel it is important for agency candidates to know the "rules" of the game so they are in the best position to succeed. It is best for the company, and better for the candidates.

1) Sell lots and lots of life insurance or you are fired. Minimum of 80 apps issued your first year, with enough premium to travel. No matter what other positive things you do, if you DON'T qualify to "travel." You are fired--next contestant please. (Don't say no one told you.)

2) There are two unwritten tracks into agency. Those candidates who come from INSIDE the company (internal candidates) and those who come from OUTSIDE the company (external candidates). The best books of business will never be posted--they go to managers who are "returning to service" to enjoy the sweet life of huge renewal checks of the fattest and biggest books in town. The rich do get richer. (This is neither fair, nor unfair. It is just the way it is.) The good to moderate books, even if they are posted, will go to those on an inside track. Somebody from a mid-level Fire Company management job. Somebody whose daddy is a big agent. Somebody who works in an AFO. Lastly, what remains are the picked over books from some crummy agents who let their books deteriorate over time and finally hung up their spurs. OR sometimes, there will be a book like that, only a previous new agent worked it so hard and squeezed every life policy out of it so he or she could then jump into management that there is not much left for the next newbie.

Of the new agents who fail, they are almost exclusively and always external candidates. (Probably because they don't know the things in this posting.)

3) Don't count on any more "assignments". Don't suck up to try to get more assignments. Don't complain when you don't get assignments. Just know that assignments go to the chosen ones--normally buddies of the AFE from "back in the day" or someone who has dirt on the AFE that the E wants to keep quiet or someone the E owes a big favor to for getting the E on an exotic trip. Don't delude yourself into thinking, "Gosh, if I work real hard, and drink the kool-aide, and travel now and then, my E will like me and give me a good chunk of policies." You will be disappointed and bitter. You could get lucky and get some assignments of policies, but if you start doing tricks thinking you are owed policies, you will be very bitter when they don't come (because they won't).

4) Your managers (AFC and AFE) are not there to be your business consultants. If you want business advice (and you should) go pay a small fee and get it independently from a third party. Your C and E are there to get you to sell whatever upper management tells them to get you to sell. (First of all, Life). Many managers are nice people. Many were agents at one time (however, it is startling how more and more new managers jumped out of agency after only one or two years). Be nice to your manager--he or she has a family and is a more good than bad. But if you think that your nice manager is there to truly help you with your business, and you rely on your manager for help with your business, you will be very disappointed when their answer to every problem you have is "Sell more life insurance" or "Hire more people to sell more life insurance".

That's it. Four simple truths that would get me fired if my name was found out.

If you are an internal candidate, you already know all this and are pissed off that I put it on the table. Too bad. Call me a liar if you can. BUT if you are an EXTERNAL candidate, or are thinking of becoming and EXTERNAL candidate, you now have no excuses for failure. You know the game. You know the rules. You know the truth. If you can take on a mediocre book of business that people on the inside did not want, and if you can push a LOT of life insurance (and win some trips) WHILE you also try to grow your business, you will be just fine. In fact, you will be a much tougher and smarter SOB than many of the internals who walked into a book of business twice the size of yours and just had to turn the lights on. Take pride in that.

However, if you DON'T think you can deal with items 1-4 above, or you don't think it's "fair", then you will be miserable if you become a new agent and will likely fail. And if for some reason you didn't fail in your first year, you will spend all your following days whining about how "unfair" the company is. Either way, now you now have no excuses.

Please post replies if you think I am correct, or incorrect. If you know who I am, because there are a lot of lurkers on this site, don't "out" me or in any way recognize me.

You are stating the obvious and are not going to get fired for it.

"when you have to compete with agents who get a book the size of yours minus the debt, plus an 18k signing bonus"

Greenman, who are you speaking of?

Okay I am back and let me just tell you I keep hearing more and more agents that started in 2004 and 2005 and some now in 2006 leaving the company. The NEW contract is a BAD DEAL PERIOD. They are having problems filling some spots after TICA's leave, some TICA's have done well only to be told in month 11 NO CONTRACT. This company is doing one of two things planning a way to get rid of agents eventaully or simply making it a blue collar level paid job and that's the bottom line. This is NOT a good deal once again go see some Agents that started in 2004 and 2005 and now 2006 and get the truth, shame on the company for saying it was our fault for not controlling our expenses when they basically made new agents get a $20,000 furniture package, 3-4 staff when the 97 deal would have let you have 2 with an avg. book and an expensive office, this contract has caused many bankruptcies and divorces and the call for action is being heard.

I had to re-visit a prior post for some background as I have not been on here lately like many I have had to take on a second job to make it. I am not going to let them ruin me like they did 8 out of 12 of a recent TICA class.

They say you should hear it from someone that has actually been there. Then that is me . I was a TICA & I did earn my contract. What has been said is true. This AA05 contract has ruined lives, it has caused divorce and bankruptcies. I know an agent that started around the time I did and he is leaving agency after 3 years of trying to break even. You WILL go $100,000+ in debt with an average book much less one of less than 1000 cars. They will show you template of what you are supposed to make, but you won't come close to that. I know of TICA that were in the top 20 in the nation that didn't make that so what about the other 800-900? I easily got my contract, it was never in question.

Most of the money is spent on payroll and marketing. In the past with these books of business they would have let you have 2 staff. Now they "suggest" you have 3 full time and a one or two part time "team members". My payroll was over 65% of my gross my 1st year. Show me a business model that shows that will work. If you don't sell enough the first year be prepared to hear you won't get your contract. I personally know of an agent that was almost on time to travel & they told him in month 11 that he was NOT getting his contract. He had borrowed over $50,000 and had a multi year lease.

The contract is very ambiguous & the CO. can basically change it at anytime. They are not sending prospective agents to agents that have been around over 3 years that started as TICA's. Go see like was said 5 of them before you make this mistake. If you are willing to go for it then have NO debt going in a spouse that makes more than what you need to live on. Think twice and think again.

Now then you may ask about me? Finally after all this time I have started to make progress on my debt so for me its worth it to stay. There are some benefits but you ask me if I would do it all again with my knowledge and I would say "absolutely NOT"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

only a previous new agent worked it so hard and squeezed every life policy out of it so he or she could then jump into management that there is not much left for the next newbie.

Most E's and C's do NOT care as long as they make their boss the VPA happy and they get their bonus. My E doesn't come around but once every other month to ask why I am not spending more money marketing and to critcize something else. He really doesn't care that the AA04/05 contract has ruined lives and caused so many new agents to leave the company in years 4 and 5 this used to not happen. Agency with this company now is NOT a good career be careful and wise and look elsewhere. Contact somebody at NASFA and get the truth on what is happening to newer agents, the real truth.

Last edited:
Back