Becoming a State Farm Agent

Your going to need investment thats the whole thing to get set up. There is a ton of money to be made but you need to get your office up first

This was exactly my point that I have met with local agents that say they have done it on just what SF has given them. No crazy build outs or expensive furniture packages. They've taken over from retiring agents, while they didn't get their whole book they did get enough to help them with costs and as they sold more it only put them that much farther ahead. It might be the demographics and cost of living in this area that has helped these two new agents... the cost of living is very good.

Just to reiterate they are both in just about 2 years. I have more agents to talk to in the coming week but they've been in for longer.

I've just finished reading through a lot of posts on the NASFA site. This just doesn't make sense. Why would anyone go into this unless they just flat out had no other job options? It seems no one has a positive outlook on this unless they are in under 2 years and their comp rate hasn't decreased yet or they've been in for 15+ years. How can a company stay alive if the force that sells their product is so disgruntled and seems to be dying.

I've just finished reading through a lot of posts on the NASFA site. This just doesn't make sense. Why would anyone go into this unless they just flat out had no other job options? It seems no one has a positive outlook on this unless they are in under 2 years and their comp rate hasn't decreased yet or they've been in for 15+ years. How can a company stay alive if the force that sells their product is so disgruntled and seems to be dying.

Because you have to consider the source.

It's usually the one's that have failed or been misled that are on the boards posting.

There are agents out there making money. Like everything else, there are some that are making a killing and some that aren't.

Under the new contract If your not selling Financial Services, your dead year 3. If you are doing pretty good in Financial Services, you have a chance of seeing a decent Scorecard in March. It's that simple.

Please note I said it's that simple. I never said it was easy.

Because you have to consider the source.

It's usually the one's that have failed or been misled that are on the boards posting.

There are agents out there making money. Like everything else, there are some that are making a killing and some that aren't.

Under the new contract If your not selling Financial Services, your dead year 3. If you are doing pretty good in Financial Services, you have a chance of seeing a decent Scorecard in March. It's that simple.

Please note I said it's that simple. I never said it was easy.

Anything in life that you want is never easy and I totally get your point. So where are you at in the process now?

My above question was to provoke just a little bit to see if anyone who reads these forums isn't either bitter or new... or possibly just bored. I was hoping to find some TICA's and new agents that are doing well that I could share positive info with. I am meeting with the agent that I will be working with for the next year or so and I'm going to take some of the more detailed "failure" posts from the NASFA site to just see what he says.

I'm in a pretty good situation though... I get to be his agency manager and learn from him (20+ years of experience) to see if I'm cut out for this and then decide if I'm going to finish the SF process and work towards getting my own agency.

Anything in life that you want is never easy and I totally get your point. So where are you at in the process now?

My above question was to provoke just a little bit to see if anyone who reads these forums isn't either bitter or new... or possibly just bored. I was hoping to find some TICA's and new agents that are doing well that I could share positive info with. I am meeting with the agent that I will be working with for the next year or so and I'm going to take some of the more detailed "failure" posts from the NASFA site to just see what he says.

I'm in a pretty good situation though... I get to be his agency manager and learn from him (20+ years of experience) to see if I'm cut out for this and then decide if I'm going to finish the SF process and work towards getting my own agency.

I definately commend you on working at an agent's office before you consider pursuing the career path as an agent. No substitue for experience.

Here's my only concern and I won't speculate on what your 20+ year agent may or may not be doing.

Typically however those type of agents, usually are'nt very involved in their agency. Their working the TNT schedule (Tuesday-Thursday or also known as 10-2) Now you may be saying your agent is not like that. However it leads me to believe he's definately not as engaged in his business for he would'nt be hiring an agency manager.

More importantly however, because what I just mentioned above will not deter you from still gaining experience (systems,processes, dealing with customers, learning certain tricks of the trade)

The MAIN concern is, the contract that he is on is COMPLETELY different than the one you are on. He does'nt worry about Semi Monthly Variable Compensation or Scorecard, therefore he could probably care less about Financial Services.

I won't tell you what that means or what you should do knowing this information, but just always keep that in mind.

I would absolutely recommend that you start out by working in the business before deciding to start your own business and that goes for all business areas not just insurance.
Also I would recommend anybody who is considering starting their own business to read Michael E Gerber's book "The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It"

Back