Becoming a State Farm Agent

So what you guys are saying is dont go State farm.

Don't do Allstate.

Then who do you suggest?

I don't know the answer. I think SF use to be the best deal going but I have become convinced that it is a losing proposition under the current contract. If you have adequate experience the answer may be to go INDY. I have a friend who was with Farmers and starving. He went INDY and has prospered.

newagent2010, all you are seeing in these posts are just the realities. Like most of the companies, SF has stripped the very incentive off what used to be the Pinnacle of opportunities.

It's not just the opportunity or contract that is an issue, it is the overall state of the economy, our competitive problems, our top-heavy management structure, and lack of humility to say we have a real threat from the direct writters.

Don't get this wrong, you are evaluating a well-respected, and frankly one of the best employers (from the employee standpoint) in the world.

This company has been through 3 contracts in 15 years and there is defeat and desention among many of them. There are 3 diferent classes of agents and the new ones are certainly carrying their unfair share right now.

There is no such thing as the best "agent opportunity." I don't care what these posts say, going indepent is even a much tougher road. If you want to take the dare, go with SF, you'll have a much better chance than our competitors, but know the odds are good that you won't make the money you are being shown.

Any true opportunity is dificult; this is no exception. But, I bet you a cheeseburger it's better than flipping houses (or burgers).

Last edited:
The new contract is for those happy to be an employee. If you want independence, become an Big I agent.

The G4521 form is for those clients who have been through three Tica's and 2 ESP offices and are finally fed up.

Defender,

Thank you for your post...I am a little confused now...if you think its a good or bad opportunity..hehe.... :-)

Ok in all seriousness this is were I am at with my career.

I have only flipped one house so I am not a flipper I just gave that example to show you that I do understand risk / return.

I am however a financial services producer for one of the biggest names in the business.

The reality is I have made a very good living so far...at least in my neck of the woods..I have done well income wise.

What I dont like is because of my current setup I have basically ZERO Trails or renewals because of the way i am set up.

I like financial services BUT I like dealing with people more than anything. Selling P&C for appeals to me for several reason.

One being I can continue to be a financial services producer and sell p&c.

Two being people HAVE to have it. I know what others are saying well if your prices are not good they will go elsewhere.

I agree 110%....but here is the thing...that is already my situation. The company I work for ( I want say who) is one of the big dogs and our prices are not that competitive at times. So I already get price shopped to death...but I still "thank god" have been able to do pretty good and make a good living even in the recession.

So I am looking at it like this...people are always going to price shop nothing changes there.

P&C business from what I have seen so far from everyone (until this forum) has been a 5 year goal. The first year you just survive the 2nd year you make a little money the 5th year you are good to go...but still need to grow the agency strong.

I feel my people skills and strong work ethic along with my sales ability would better fit me with a product people have to have.

Long story short...I know it will be tough....I dont' mind tough.

I do mind loosing all of my money and sanity and bankruptcy...something I have never heard before even from the worst agents in a lot of the companies I am familiar with.

So if its real tough....IM in.

If its crazy and makes no since for my family I am out.

I want indepedence and no ceiling on money.

I hope this helps understand me?

So defender what cha think???

Thanks!!!!!!!

O.k. here's the deal, I have been following this thread for over a year and I have come to one conclussion. Most of the people on here are cry babies who seem to blame everybody else for their short falls as a State Farm Agent. Yes, it is hard, yes you do take risk and yes you may not make it and may lose money in this deal. My problem with most of you is that you never own up to your own descisions. Did State Farm come to your house and force you to apply as an agent? The truth is, many State Farm Agents make it and do just fine. Just because many of you on this blog made bad decisions and bought overpricecd furniture and signed over priced leases and didn't market effectively doesn't mean that every person who gives it a go will end up bankrupt and divorced. If your spouse divorces you because of lack of money and debt then I guess you are better off. My point is, quit whining and move on with your life. Insurance is a tough business and usually only the strong survive. Some of you have given good information and I thank you for that, but this is about the people who are on here day after day complaining. Good Luck!

O.k. here's the deal, I have been following this thread for over a year and I have come to one conclussion. Most of the people on here are cry babies who seem to blame everybody else for their short falls as a State Farm Agent. Yes, it is hard, yes you do take risk and yes you may not make it and may lose money in this deal. My problem with most of you is that you never own up to your own descisions. Did State Farm come to your house and force you to apply as an agent? The truth is, many State Farm Agents make it and do just fine. Just because many of you on this blog made bad decisions and bought overpricecd furniture and signed over priced leases and didn't market effectively doesn't mean that every person who gives it a go will end up bankrupt and divorced. If your spouse divorces you because of lack of money and debt then I guess you are better off. My point is, quit whining and move on with your life. Insurance is a tough business and usually only the strong survive. Some of you have given good information and I thank you for that, but this is about the people who are on here day after day complaining. Good Luck!

Where is the "LIKE" button?

ajfn 1477:

sounds like a SF recruiter is on this thread. But tell a dear friend that a recommended 3 years ago to this gig, got his contract but is now divorced and has filled for bankruptsy, that he is a cry baby. The company has been good with him not terminating his contract. But, he's not happy he left a financial services gig with Edward Jones, that he did much better at.

Tell me this mr./mrs. recruiter: How can you do a business plan and budget plan on a floating commision rate? How do you calculate X leads generates X Sales X % commission rates when your comp number floats based on an arbitrary metric?

Answer: Base your budget on 8%, make sure you life honor every year, and everything above that is a bonus.

I'm sure this recruiter's next comment is "I've been an agent for 15 years, or somthing to that nature." And if this person is really doing well, must be related to someone in the company. Because, other than the 10 old contract agents in my group, the rest are sucking wind.

ajfn 1477:

sounds like a SF recruiter is on this thread. But tell a dear friend that a recommended 3 years ago to this gig, got his contract but is now divorced and has filled for bankruptsy, that he is a cry baby. The company has been good with him not terminating his contract. But, he's not happy he left a financial services gig with Edward Jones, that he did much better at.

Tell me this mr./mrs. recruiter: How can you do a business plan and budget plan on a floating commision rate? How do you calculate X leads generates X Sales X % commission rates when your comp number floats based on an arbitrary metric?

Answer: Base your budget on 8%, make sure you life honor every year, and everything above that is a bonus.

I'm sure this recruiter's next comment is "I've been an agent for 15 years, or somthing to that nature." And if this person is really doing well, must be related to someone in the company. Because, other than the 10 old contract agents in my group, the rest are sucking wind.

As I stated, nobody forced this unhappy person to leave his job at Edwards Jones. Sometimes in life, people make decisions that are not the best for them. This is the United States and you have the freedom to live with the decisions you make. Sorry if yours and your friends were not the best for you both.:)

AJF,

Everybody know's that many of these decisions are made for these new guys starting. The fact is you drink the koolaid of number of staff, pave leads, location/lease etc or you dont get a contract.

Sure the company states your an ind. contractor but we know the reality. Hell, even using the companies own test on commercial insurance we come up more like employees than ind. contractors.

Back