Becoming a State Farm Agent

Thanks Steveflintstone and are you a state farm agent ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hello Friends , i was thinking about becoming a state farm agent but, after getting info from NASFA i am having second thoughts. As i mention before i already have P&C and L&H License , is there any way i can work from home?

Any advice will be greatly Appreciated. Thank You.

Last edited:
AJ3, No, I am not a SF Agent, but I've been an Agent's staff member for 8 years with 3 agents, my most recent being here in VA for just over 4 years now. I understand the company fairly well, minus the in depths of the Agent contracts.

I laugh every time I see a NASFA fax come across in our office. They seem like a bunch of angry people. Yes, there are limitations with the company and you won't always agree with their decisions, but that's every company out there. It's still a great company to insure with and a great company to work for... if the shoe fits. It doesn't align with the goals of many agents, so think it through for yourself.

Yes and yes. To qualify for travel, you must meet a minimum app count and premium for the year on life. There are other incentives related to this as well.

Internet leads- you can market how you like with SF... you're agency is completely independent. If you choose to do that with chasing internet leads, it has proven to be productive by some, but not everyone likes this. Where in VA are you?

AJ3, No, I am not a SF Agent, but I've been an Agent's staff member for 8 years with 3 agents, my most recent being here in VA for just over 4 years now. I understand the company fairly well, minus the in depths of the Agent contracts.

I laugh every time I see a NASFA fax come across in our office. They seem like a bunch of angry people. Yes, there are limitations with the company and you won't always agree with their decisions, but that's every company out there. It's still a great company to insure with and a great company to work for... if the shoe fits. It doesn't align with the goals of many agents, so think it through for yourself.

You're mention you are on your third agent in 8 years. What happened to the first two?

You may think the NASFA fax is funny, but sounds like many actual agents at SF don't.

Yes and yes. To qualify for travel, you must meet a minimum app count and premium for the year on life. There are other incentives related to this as well.

Internet leads- you can market how you like with SF... you're agency is completely independent. If you choose to do that with chasing internet leads, it has proven to be productive by some, but not everyone likes this. Where in VA are you?

I am in Tennessee and really confuse that should i go for agency Opportunity or not. Please advice.

VOL, my first agent kept me on board for 3 years. I was 21 when I started there and fresh. He taught me everything and with that we did well. Our area then went through some very tough underwriting situations which nearly put him out of business. With that, he couldn't pay me anymore, so he referred me to a start up agency in another area which we both knew well. She wasn't a good match for me (horrible pay structure, low incentives and micromanaged), so I didn't stick around too long. Shortly after, I moved back east and got in with my current agent. I am now his top producer in all lines and we are #2 in our district, so I'm very happy here. My next step will be my own agency... Which is currently in the works with s full acknowledgement.

AJ3, it's a personal choice to be honest. Really have to weigh the pros and cons of both opportunities and see which is a better fit. I've chosen to go independent with my agency, but that's because it fits my goals much better. SF Agency is still a great opportunity and has excellent support, but the con is its captive. I'm happy to talk more on my views as pros and cons over the phone if you'd like. The shoe has to fit to buy into it, whichever shoe that may be.

Thanks Chevarian113 and i will be contacting you soon. One more thing do you know anything about AA05 contract and which is the current contract they give to TICA.

Back