Becoming Successful with No Prior Sales Experience?

ladyoflucky13

Hello,

I am wanting to know people's opinions regarding getting into the insurance sales industry without any prior sales experience. I am a recent college graduate in the field of chemistry in Corvallis, Oregon. Sadly, I am having a very hard time finding a job related to my field. The next thing that interests me the most would be starting my own business. My grandfather has his own small contracting business, so I do understand that businesses take hard work, investments, and time to build them up to success.

I had a heart to heart with my grandfather recently and he felt that his sales and bookkeeping experiences at various companies before he started his first business (a car dealership) was invaluable to him. Certainly, I can understand how important learning sales, customer service skills, and learning to keep a keen eye on the financial side of a business is very important.

I am wondering if the insurance industry would provide me a good access into the world of sales and provide a good experience with regards to operating one's own business. Since I have come to realize that the rate of failure in insurance is so very high (95%?), I would really like to minimize my potential loss and/or lack of gain while still maximizing the amount of information, knowledge, and skills gathered from the experience.

I was contacted by a farmers insurance DM about an opportunity with them. However, further research has yielded the fact that their program seems intended to grab as many young agents as possible, sell to their families, and then drop them either without having made any money or perhaps even in debt due to their subsidy program. I feel that the program is definitely skewed in favor of the company.

However, is this sort of company where I would get proper starting experience since I am a complete newbie? I have considered just trying out the reserve program and seeing if it is for me. Would this give me enough experience to break off on my own without risking too much? Are there any programs or companies that would give someone without any experience like me a real shot at becoming successful (not pyramid schemes designed for newbies to fail). My highest preference would be for a company to train me that would at least guarantee minimum wage during the training period, but I have enough money to get me through if that isn't possible.

I reside in Corvallis, Oregon. So if anyone has any suggestions for me, please let me know. Thank you.

I would interview with Metlife, NY Life, Northwestern, etc. Prior sales experience is not a prerequisite. Look at companies built to bring in inexperienced reps like the ones mentioned. Good luck.

I would interview with Metlife, NY Life, Northwestern, etc. Prior sales experience is not a prerequisite. Look at companies built to bring in inexperienced reps like the ones mentioned. Good luck.

Also talk to Western Southern and Combined if your goal is to learn to sell.

Hello,

I am wanting to know people's opinions regarding getting into the insurance sales industry without any prior sales experience. I am a recent college graduate in the field of chemistry in Corvallis, Oregon. Sadly, I am having a very hard time finding a job related to my field. The next thing that interests me the most would be starting my own business. My grandfather has his own small contracting business, so I do understand that businesses take hard work, investments, and time to build them up to success.

I had a heart to heart with my grandfather recently and he felt that his sales and bookkeeping experiences at various companies before he started his first business (a car dealership) was invaluable to him. Certainly, I can understand how important learning sales, customer service skills, and learning to keep a keen eye on the financial side of a business is very important.

I am wondering if the insurance industry would provide me a good access into the world of sales and provide a good experience with regards to operating one's own business. Since I have come to realize that the rate of failure in insurance is so very high (95%?), I would really like to minimize my potential loss and/or lack of gain while still maximizing the amount of information, knowledge, and skills gathered from the experience.

I was contacted by a farmers insurance DM about an opportunity with them. However, further research has yielded the fact that their program seems intended to grab as many young agents as possible, sell to their families, and then drop them either without having made any money or perhaps even in debt due to their subsidy program. I feel that the program is definitely skewed in favor of the company.

However, is this sort of company where I would get proper starting experience since I am a complete newbie? I have considered just trying out the reserve program and seeing if it is for me. Would this give me enough experience to break off on my own without risking too much? Are there any programs or companies that would give someone without any experience like me a real shot at becoming successful (not pyramid schemes designed for newbies to fail). My highest preference would be for a company to train me that would at least guarantee minimum wage during the training period, but I have enough money to get me through if that isn't possible.

I reside in Corvallis, Oregon. So if anyone has any suggestions for me, please let me know. Thank you.

This is my opinion and I am fairly new, 1 1/2 years, but I will tell you what I think.

I disagree with the agents that tell you to go captive. I would do the same thing all over again if I just started today, and that is to become independent and look for free, or paid, training to learn your products and how to sell. There is too much information out in web land that can help you get up an running.

Pick a couple of products that you like, study your tail off on product knowledge, take CLU classes among others, and learn to prospect which can be learned here and other places on the web.

Salaried positions, like those with Liberty Mutual, MetLife, and so on, give a false sense of security, and with most people, a lack of eagerness to prospect 8 hours a day. If you are only relying on YOU, you will get up, get dressed and go to work.

Before I got into insurance, I managed a Honda dealership, and the first thing I did was take away the 90 day guaranteed pay because it made salespeople too lazy to get off the butts to go out and greet customers , and learn how to sell. In 90 days, after the guarantee was gone, they were gone, because they couldn't do it on their own.

Just my opinion... Sink or Swim, that is the answer.

Last edited:
Per one of the owners of a marketing company I worked for:

"Is there any salary or base pay with this job?"

"The sales job? No. But if you want base pay I might have an opening for a secretary."

I've worked in insurance for 5 years, so I can tell you first hand that you have to be careful with the type of insurance you are offering and what market is being focused on. With most lines of isnsurance the market is saturated, and you end up with people just jumping back and forth from one company to the next for price alone. And just like any other type of price war, the competitors prices will fluctuate and then you'll be trying even harder to keep the business you just got.

If you're just getting started, you might want to look into a company that will let you offer an insurance product that has little or no competition. I'm a strong proponent of legal expense plans. I work with a company called Pre-Paid Legal Services that is looking for new associates. Check out my signature. There is a corporate conference call every wednesday that lasts about 20 minutes, and you can get more information about it. Or email me and I'll send you a link.

I've worked in insurance for 5 years, so I can tell you first hand that you have to be careful with the type of insurance you are offering and what market is being focused on. With most lines of isnsurance the market is saturated, and you end up with people just jumping back and forth from one company to the next for price alone. And just like any other type of price war, the competitors prices will fluctuate and then you'll be trying even harder to keep the business you just got.

If you're just getting started, you might want to look into a company that will let you offer an insurance product that has little or no competition. I'm a strong proponent of legal expense plans. I work with a company called Pre-Paid Legal Services that is looking for new associates. Check out my signature. There is a corporate conference call every wednesday that lasts about 20 minutes, and you can get more information about it. Or email me and I'll send you a link.

How about divorce insurance, pre-paid legal, or better yet, pet insurance?

By the way, I reported your post as spam....:D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looks like you're also a "strong proponent" of being a spamming douchebag...

Just curious, "Broker of the Year" for whom? I've often wondered..... Who did the voting, and what were the qualifications?

Last edited:

Ya know, You got me. I read the first paragraph and thought OK, She is getting it. Then you did it. Bye!

Back