Best product to start

Why would anyone start in Life Insurance?

Life Insurance is like adding SUGAR on top of something. It's sweet once you've already sold them something but you dont' want to just eat the sugar now do you?

Start with HEALTH INSURANCE, yeah I'm biased but you will not make more money in anything else.

Why would anyone start in Life Insurance?

Life Insurance is like adding SUGAR on top of something. It's sweet once you've already sold them something but you dont' want to just eat the sugar now do you?

Start with HEALTH INSURANCE, yeah I'm biased but you will not make more money in anything else.

How many millions of people live in the greater Houston Area? I imagine you can make a lot with whatever you sell if you work it. I would move back if it wasn't so dang hot, humid and all those people and I really hate driving on I59 or I45 or for that matter 610 and really don't like Telephone Rd or Hwy 6 at the wrong time of day.

I say pass on any IMO... It's the mlm of the insurance world. When I first started out I worked for the Notorious Naa... Luckily I didn't stay there that long. Paying 18 dollars per lead that was over a year old is ridiculous. Here's my opinion, go to an agency that works with you. I've worked with Monumental Life for a little under a year. Decent benefits and you get a book and service pay. It starts you somewhere to get your feet wet, without starving. Plus you always and I do mean ALWAYS have someone to see. Realistic pay is 25-50k a year, based on what you lapse and what you sell. Just if you do decided to go captive, pick a company that offers you bene's is what I say, that's the big allure of going captive for me, and I like knowing I'm going to eat that week. But you do make more money if you bust ass as an independent. I say NYL or Monumental. Stay away from Liberty Nat and UA. Especially UA!

Wprice, I find your comments priceless. mlm of the insurance world. What do you think Insurance is, and any other corporation for that matter. Nobody forces you to take the A leads in NAA, that is a choice that you make on your own. Many of us can hack it with the older and much cheaper leads. If 25-50k is what you consider realistic pay I see why NAA was not a fit for you. In Minnesota that is below and around the poverty line. "You will never earn more then your self concept." I read that in a book that NAA suggested. Funny its kinda true. Yeah, captive, base salary, whats the point, if you can only offer your clients one company and you cannot even shop around what do you do with your declines or rated up people? There are no leads in NAA that are over a year old and are still $18 you might have just looked at the record date for the mortgage, which is most times wrong anyways, and said this is too old I'm not calling. You know what WHO CARES if it is old, they still sent it in, and if they have not been helped out yet by NAA chances are that they are still interested. While I do admit that some people are mad that we took so long to get to them, most are understanding, and realize that we do not have the amount of agents we need to cover all the leads. With 1500+ leads left over every week of course we are hiring. We will probably always be hiring, you had that part right, but you know why? Because we have families requesting what we have, we have families looking to change their lives with the opportunity we can provide them.

So while you might be satisfied being captive and making 25-50k a year that is nowhere near where I need to be. There is some magic to thinking big.

They have great conventions at NAA. Not the rah rah stuff, but some nuts and bolts, its 2-3 days of training with some pats on the back thrown in. But the people training are getting it done and know how to make money. The conventions are an invaluable tool for anyone serious in the insurance industry.

You are going to see good and bad from every company. Most of the time it is just bitter people who either couldn't make it or didn't truly try. Take the great support system that NAA has along with some effort on your part and you will surpass most of the people in this forum inside of 2 or 3 years.

Good luck wherever you go.

Take the great support system that NAA has along with some effort on your part and you will surpass most of the people in this forum inside of 2 or 3 years.

I have never seen someone so new to the insurance indusrtry think that they know it all. Zach , if you would just listen to someone besides NAA maybe you would understand. I remember when I was new and believed everything my managers told me. You have to realize they are just trying to motivate you and get you to believe in thier products and make you think everything else is bad. I would bet that in 2 to 3 years you will have a totally different outlook and will be upset that most of the agents on this forum are and will be making more than you.

Last edited:
I have never seen someone so new to the insurance indusrtry think that they know it all. Zach , if you would just listen to someone besides NAA maybe you would understand. I remember when I was new and believed everything my managers told me. You have to realize they are just trying to motivate you and get you to believe in thier products and make you think everything else is bad. I would bet that in 2 to 3 years you will have a totally different outlook and will be upset that most of the agents on this forum are and will be making more than you.

Well put.

I also have a ex regional manager of farmers giving me advice, oddly enough, he did not tell me to quit naa, just suggested that I get my p/c as a backup.

Oh and he is a 7 figure earner himself and is in no way involved with naa, so his unbiased advice is rather refreshing.

I also have a ex regional manager of farmers giving me advice, oddly enough, he did not tell me to quit naa, just suggested that I get my p/c as a backup.

Oh and he is a 7 figure earner himself and is in no way involved with naa, so his unbiased advice is rather refreshing.

It seems to me that he is telling you to get you P&C because he believes you will not make it with naa. I don't have P&C as a back up, nor do I think I will need it as a back up. No one has ever told me to get P&C as a back up either. But then again I am not with naa. :goofy: PErsonally I don't care who you work for. I just don't see why you are not listening to these vets telling you the negative info on naa. I don't believe any of them have P&C as a back up either. I wonder why???

Leave middle-market P&C to the lizard. You can't realistically expect to compete with the big, direct-to-consumer companies.

If you want to make money in P&C, get into commercial lines OR target your current L&H clients.

Leave middle-market P&C to the lizard. You can't realistically expect to compete with the big, direct-to-consumer companies.

If you want to make money in P&C, get into commercial lines OR target your current L&H clients.

I could say the same about health. With e-apps, how does an agent compete against the direct-to-consumer companies? Actually, it's easy. People don't feel comfortable with insurance. They want someone to help them through the process. This is why companies, including the lizard, have agents to help people enroll.

As a mid-market P&C guy, doing pretty well, I work with people all the time that got quotes online, all of which tout to be the lowest. I then save them $500 in 15 minutes, with better coverage, because I know how to do it.

Actually, I'm glad to hear that I won't have you (or most of the people on this forum) to compete against with P&C. In the time I've had my office, I think I've written 2 health policies from people walking in to buy health insurance, 3 life policies, and hundreds of P&C policies. These are unmarketed policies, just someone who wanted some help. Centers of influence are much easier to come by with P&C as well. I work with car dealers, realtors, etc. All send business my way. I don't get a lot of health referrals without going to get them myself.

I will say, the life policies were a fluke. I don't count on that happening again. They were VUL's as well, not high value, but good policies none the less.

Dan

Back