Best Record Keeping Software for Insurance

I think the Tandy 64 ran on basic and if you wanted a "hard drive" you attached a tape recorder.

If you had a TRS-64 you must have had the only one made since that is not a model I remember or can find any evidence on. Maybe you are thinking of the TRS-80.

trs80pic.jpg

Frank, as you know I've been very happy with YIO for several years. When a client calls me, I can find them and actuallly make it sound like I remember them.

Any database can do that. Outlook, Filemaker, Access... take your pick. No big deal.

I've recommended YIO

If you want a desktop database system that is targeted to the insurance industry, YIO is an adequate solution. However it is somewhat dated in that it can't match the features of some of the newer web-based relational CRM systems out there, also targeted to the insurance industry. (iRelay, AgencyPro, etc.)

If you are paranoid about security YIO will be your cup of tea... however I find that there is more risk of data loss, corruption, and theft from an in-house network than one hosted by a reputable company. Any of you who keep your company database on your home/office machine or network is at the mercy of anyone (like a 12th grader) who can hack the average DSL or cable modem/router and firewalls.

A large web host has far more security than most home or small office networks. Plus, large data centers have mirroring, redundancy, backup generators, and better made hardware (especially disk drives) than in your average home/office Dell or HP.

The MTBF of your basic Dell or HP hard drive does not compare with professional equipment that a good data center has.

And the chances that someone will break into your home/office and make off with all your hardware is another concern. Not as easily done in a 24/7 monitored data center.

I make ( encrypted) backup copies of my database every 30 minutes and send them to one of the large backup companies out there. (Of course this is all automated by cron scripts. However it would not be hard to do with YIO... if you know how)

The web is the way to go for most people these days, but if you have no need to access your data from another computer and are afraid of keeping your data on an outside server, YIO, ACT, or something similar is probably what you want.

However, it is NOT going to run on a TRS-80, that you can be sure of!

How do I keep track of all my Life and Health business. What software will be best for bookkeeping; for each carrier, my client list for each carrier, and commissions? And stuff I probably don't even know I need to keep track of as of yet.

Don't go with traditional CRM's. Find a mobile CRM that allows you to take your business with you. There are mobile CRM options that will take leads from your website and position them immediately on your mobile device and track policy sales, commissions, etc.
Quickbooks is an easy to use software program.

Back