Brand New 2-15 Agent in Florida Needs HELP!

Is there anyone you can ride along with that is a part of your "office"?
Is Jason successful at training or producing?

Hi Everyone,

My name is Justin Hamacher. I am 26 years-old, a newly licensed agent (2-15) in Florida, and I have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm doing. It's been a very frustrating and demoralizing beginning to what I excitedly felt was a positive direction-change in my life. I need Help - somewhat desperately, but I am feeling much more hopeful now that I have discovered this forum. I want to briefly explain how I got to where I am at, and hopefully some of you can lend me your expertise and wisdom to help steer me in the right direction so I can actually start my career.

I'll make this as short and sweet as possible.

Basically, I was 25, was still living with my parents(and girlfriend of 9 years), and had no job or idea even of what I wanted to do with my life. Needless to say, pretty much no one was happy with this, especially me. Well, my parents had some friends over for dinner one night - my mom's good friend, Livi, and her boyfriend, Jason. Jason is 34, and an extremely successful insurance-agency-owner here in Central Florida. Long story-short, that night he ended up seeing "amazing potential" in me, saying, "If I had 20 agents who were like you, I'd be set - that's all I'd need," referring to what he saw as my diligence and outside-the-box thinking. He made a phone call and told me if I showed up at the Florida Insurance School on Monday, then I'd have a job at his agency. He said he'd take me under his wing and help me learn the business, and I'd be successful and on my own in no time. I of course agreed.

I went to the 4-day, 40-hour class, passed it no-problem, and passed the state exam on my first try. (I had never studied so hard in my life)
So I went to work at his agency, but the agent he had "training" me was a complete loser, and would only try and discourage me, telling me that I couldn't do it because I didn't have any "Business experience". Well, he was removed from being my manager, and Jason told me how sorry he was and that he'd help me for real.

That was last November or December, and I still haven't learned anything about SELLING insurance. I know all about insurance itself, as well as getting quotes and even writing policies, but I don't know HOW to sell it. We don't have an official office that I can go to everyday, and haven't since shortly after I started. I know that we are going to have one or two very soon, but I am afraid that Jason has given up on me, because even though I learned all of the product stuff(which I was taught by his girlfriend, who knows about as much as I do, but has had Jason to help her sell stuff), I still ask him for help with what to say and who to talk to and stuff. He is always really busy so I know it's hard for him to try to teach me how to sell, but I still need to learn. I was given some free health leads as part of a promotional thing, but I had no idea what to say to them when I called. Now I don't have any leads or money to buy them, and I don't have a clue who I should be talking to or what I should be doing to get a sale. I just want ONE sale!
I hope that ^ all made sense/wasn't horribly boring.

Basically, I want to know:

• #1) What should I be doing? (in general)
  • #2) Who should I be trying to talk to, and what should I say to them?
  • #3) How to answer questions and/or objections
  • And "Giving Up" is 100% NOT an option - I made my biggest commitment EVER to this and I WILL see it through. I just really need help getting started

Thank you so much for taking the time to hear me out. I really can't say how much I appreciate this, and the existence of this website altogether, really.

-Justin

I am also a Florida agent who had very similar situation. I got my life and health and p&c license and decided that duie to my age I thought it might be more difficult to selll life and health. What will a 26 year old kid in the business be able to provide a 55 year old business man worth millions. This is strictly my opinion so based on that information I chose the p&c side and started my agency which happened to be the best decision I could have ever made. I am not trying to discourage you but I would reach out to a person in your office or in the area for a mentor. This type of business is a long term investment and will take time to build it but with time the business will eventually come. Being confident and not ccocky and knowing your product inside and out always helps. Go to places where you might be able to get your foot in the door, practice your pitch on family and friends. You will succeed just keep telling your self that. Good Luck

My advice: either get into p&c and worry about getting into life when you get older and have book to live off of

Or got to a career shop like Mass mutual or northwestern and get some real training.

Start knocking on P&C agency doors and tell them you are licensed and want to learn. What do you have to lose. Someone will hire you.

Thanks guys. All are good points. Honestly, I really think I can and will be successful in life and health, maybe I am stubborn, but I want to stick it out. Just curious though, why do you think P&C is a better option for me?

----------

Is there anyone you can ride along with that is a part of your "office"?
Is Jason successful at training or producing?

I am not sure honestly. I assume he must be good at both to own the agency, but I've never actually seen him do either. I have actually been getting some great training from you tube videos, but also, Jason contacted me and said he wants to get together for some one on one training, so things are looking up. I will see where this goes and make a decision from there

Thanks guys. All are good points. Honestly, I really think I can and will be successful in life and health, maybe I am stubborn, but I want to stick it out. Just curious though, why do you think P&C is a better option for me?..............

Based upon your posts I assumed that this is a P&C agency primarily that you are now with and that you may have more knowledge about P&C. You do have both license don't you? I would suggest P&C because at an established agency it would be easier to get training and to have some type of base compensation while you learn the business.

Thanks guys. All are good points. Honestly, I really think I can and will be successful in life and health, maybe I am stubborn, but I want to stick it out. Just curious though, why do you think P&C is a better option for me?

----------

I am not sure honestly. I assume he must be good at both to own the agency, but I've never actually seen him do either. I have actually been getting some great training from you tube videos, but also, Jason contacted me and said he wants to get together for some one on one training, so things are looking up. I will see where this goes and make a decision from there

P&C is easier to sell because it is mandated by the state. For life and health it is optional. People call for auto and home quotes all the time, people don't shop their life and health normally. You need to reach out to them.

Based upon your posts I assumed that this is a P&C agency primarily that you are now with and that you may have more knowledge about P&C. You do have both license don't you? I would suggest P&C because at an established agency it would be easier to get training and to have some type of base compensation while you learn the business.

Actually no, my agency was life all the way mainly through ameritas, but has somewhat switched to primarily health through assurant and assurity, using this NIA group to get paid full commissions the same day as writing the policy as opposed to as received commissions, which would be awesome if I knew how to sell a health policy properly.

----------

P&C is easier to sell because it is mandated by the state. For life and health it is optional. People call for auto and home quotes all the time, people don't shop their life and health normally. You need to reach out to them.

Ah. That makes perfect sense. I only have a 2-15 license for life, health, and "variable" annuities. No p&c

Back