Buying a Laptop

tvchild

Expert
I am just starting out in the insurance industry and am looking to buy a laptop. What are the bare minimums I would need in a laptop to be competitive?

I am just starting out in the insurance industry and am looking to buy a laptop. What are the bare minimums I would need in a laptop to be competitive?

Try and not get one that has Vista.

Make sure you at least have a cd-rom.

There are a lot of great deals on laptops right now. Just about any new laptop will have what you need on it. Even the cheaper ones.

I've had all kinds of problems down loading lead software and quoteing software with Vista. You should be able to buy a nice laptop for $ 400 on sale. I bought a compaq for $ 450 last summer. I like it better than the Gateway I bought in 06 for $ 1,000.

I used to avoid Vista, but after the updates to it I now have it on all but one machine. It works great. I have it on 2 laptops and 3 desktops. It has major plug and play advantages over XP and has some extra accessories and tools.

Get at least 2 gig. Anything over 3 gig of ram makes no difference unless you are running Vista 64 bit. Not much difference in brands. I have a Dell and a Sony. You can get a really good laptop for $700 or less if you shop around. Check prices you find against Amazon and Newegg to verify if they are good. Dell is always running deals and if you search you can find coupon and discount codes.

As stated - a lot of compatibility issues with a lot of applications, especially if those applications are older and not updated to configure well with Vista.

When I go to open any document I get an error message. It opens fine on the second try.

Running the Vista graphics chews up an amazing amount of memory so you'd better have a lot of RAM and a great connection or it'll be very slow.

I have a Vista laptop but an XP PC and I don't have any of the issues on XP.

the few older apps I use like ACT7 work fine with it, but admittedly I do not use many older apps.

i have a 4 year old xp laptop, and i refuse to get Vista. I have heard and seen too many bad things with it.

Back