Can I sell insurance with bad credit??

JE -

If you are looking to sell life from a career shop you are probably dead in the water.

As Dan indicated, many of the large life carriers that still have career shops are pushing variable products. Even if they don't have, or want you to sell variable products, if they are advancing commissions your credit history will create a problem with most.

Same would be true on the health side. Some, but not all carriers, will deny you advances if your credit is bad.

You can still get appointed but as earned (which is the best way to go) is still an option.

thanx for input, but who would i sign up with in south florida for an as earned company?? where would i go to get apponited??

Getting directly appointed with the carriers you want to do business with. Example, Blue Shield. Don't need to go through a firm.

Does anybody know of credible sources pertaining to all the in's and outs of credit scores, which contain information that has been verified to be 100% accurate.

This doesn't exist for mortal beings, unless you were employed by Fair Issac, the company that has the most meaningful credit scoring algorithm, and you had access to their research.

All you're going to get are generalizations you typically can't go wrong with: keeping your utilization ratio's low, payment on time, etc., etc., etc.

That being said, for personal use, some of the credit bureau companies online offer various simulators so you can run just that, what your credit score might look life IF x, x, and x...

However, be cautioned that scores derived directly from the credit bureaus themselves are generally NOT meaningful. The only meaningful score is the "FICO" score, and that, in MY experience, runs about 100 points lower than whatever scores the credit bureaus use, as they use their own algorithms.

any suggestions?? getting real frustrated

Only suggestion I have, is to 1. dispute all the negative entries on your credit report, and 2. position your situation such that you are in the process of disputing said accounts, and say that by simply paying them, you automatically "lose" and your credit will be irrevocably damaged.

I used to work at MetLife (as an employee, not agent), and this came up when I submitted my U4, said I had to pay off like two accounts totalling 9K, so I told them what I wrote above, and we went back and forth a bit, but in the end, they let it go saying all they needed was something proving the accounts were in some sort of dispute status, so I did screen prints of each account in dispute from each credit bureau and all was well.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
position your situation such that you are in the process of disputing said accounts, and say that by simply paying them, you automatically "lose" and your credit will be irrevocably damaged.

Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Would you translate this for me?

How do you lose by challenging a negative, then paying it off? And why would your credit be irrevocably damaged if you pay it off?

Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Would you translate this for me?

How do you lose by challenging a negative, then paying it off? And why would your credit be irrevocably damaged if you pay it off?

Ah, let's say you dispute a bad account in your credit report, for the sake of the argument, let's say it's a collections account. If it doesn't get removed, gets "verified", and you pay it off, all you end up with is a paid collections account, does your credit NO good. Now, if you negotiate a "pay-for-delete", THEN you pay the account, AND it gets removed from your credit report, generally BIG gains to your credit.

So, by simply paying an account you disputed (assuming it comes back "verified"), you can't negotiate a "pay for delete" after the fact, hence, you're irrevocably screwed.

Don't get me wrong though, it's usually not as easy as it sounds (like everything else in this world! lol), getting a creditor to agree to a pay for delete can be tough. Some do with no problems, others haggle, and others simply refuse. Point is, when you pay, you lose that possibility...

Last edited:
Back