Can I Work As an Agent Team Member with Allstate with a Petty Theft Misdemeanor? I Already Have my I

Cwhite489

Hello all,
I have a petty theft conviction that is on my record from 2011. I am already licensed in P&C/Life and health in Georgia. I currently have an offer from an agent from Allstate and just waiting on their background check to be finished. On the initial Job posting it says: Adhering to strict FCC rules, please don’t apply if you have any felony related to theft, violence, drugs within the past seven years or ANY past convictions concerning violation of the FCC rules.
Do you think I still have a chance at getting the position? What are FCC rules?

Also what other areas of the business do you think I would have a chance with the misdemeanor I have. I know I won't be able to be a captive agent because they will require 6/63 licenses and I won't be able to obtain those.

I have experience in insurance as well in underwriting for State Farm. Great references and there was no prior or subsequent convictions.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: Can I Work As an Agent Team Member with Allstate with a Petty Theft Misdemeanor? I Already Have my Insurance License

https://www.fcc.gov/

I don't see how this relates to the insurance business though. They could've meant FTC rules - specifically Do Not Call violations?

https://www.ftc.gov/

As far as securities licenses, you can obtain them, but you'll have to disclose everything about the misdemeanor on your U4 filing form under question 14-B.

http://www.finra.org/sites/default/files/form-u4.pdf

Keep in mind that that particular question has NO TIME LIMIT. It says "Have You Ever"... not "in the past 10 years". The same question shows up often on insurance company appointments.

For my Assurity contract, question #2 states: "Have you ever been convicted for any offense or entered a plea of "guilty" or "no contest" to any misdemeanor or felony charges, or are charges currently pending against you or a business with which you are connected?"

All that being said, it's still up to Allstate's internal processes and procedures to decide to bring you on board. Even then would other firms take you based on the details of the misdemeanor?

If you're going to be in the insurance and/or financial services business, this is just going to have to be a fact of life that you're going to have to live with and disclose every single time.

Re: Can I Work As an Agent Team Member with Allstate with a Petty Theft Misdemeanor? I Already Have my Insurance License

Thank you for your reply. I was confused by the FCC part too and I looked across a lot of different Allstate job postings and they all said the same thing.

I read that for your security licenses you would be disqualified automatically for any felony or any misdemeanor within 10 years.

The requirements for the position I am applying for is just the LH/PC which I do already have.

I just got an email for the background check for Allstate about an hour ago. I did disclose the misdemeanor as I feel it would be automatic denial if I did not. I guess I'll just cross my fingers until I hear back.

My guess is they meant SEC but who knows?????

If your theft was a misdemeanor, then it may be okay. If its a felony, its probably a hard stop.

I say it may be okay, because even if their rules allow it, it can still be a tough sell. As I'm sure you are experiencing, 'theft' is a hard thing for people to put aside. Most agents realize that their income is based on their reputation and while most people are more then willing to give people a second chance, its hard when it can affect your income and even the ability to support your family.

As an agent, I was once conflicted with hiring a 'family-member' with a similar problem. I knew it was a one time 'oops' (I should say a point in time oops). I really wasn't to worried about the persons performance or even integrity at the time. I was very worried that many of my clients knew the story and would be hesitant to work with me on investments, which was critical to me at the time. If I wasn't securities licensed at the time, it may have been a non-issue.

You'll have to explain the situation to the agent. Don't hope they don't find it, they will. The fact that you have your license shows its not an unpardonable sin, so that is good. It was long enough ago that it may be 'overlooked' at this time.

Dan

P.S. Can you get it expunged? It doesn't help with the U4 stuff, but it does help with most everything else.

If you are breathing and have a pulse, Allstate will hire you.

However, you do need to disclose the situation truthfully as far
as licensing, etc., goes.

Yes, they will hire you. Just be honest with the agency owner & on application.

Allstate will take anyone with a pulse.

Back