Captive Agent I Work for Lost Agency

almostintears

I am located in KS and just found out that the Captive Agent I work for has lost her agency in KS because the agency was not producing (I think for some time) and will be moving to MO and producing for someone there so it leaves me SOL.

I was hired as an Agent Support staff member (it's just me and the Agent) and have only been on board three months. I paid for my classes, licensing fees, etc and obtained my PC/Personal Lines License and now I am going to be unemployed.

This whole experience has been so stressful and I am disappointed in what I thought would be a great new experience and learning opportunity. I left a government job after 26 years (my husband was a contract worker for the Federal Government and the company he worked for lost the contract at renewal) and after a year of no real prospects, I had to make the decision to retire early so I could draw some of my retirement out because our savings had dwindled down to nothing and our youngest child is in her senior year at University and getting ready to graduate and could not leave her hanging because we couldn't pay tuition, etc.

Long story short, this has been the worst job I think I have ever had. I was so excited (and very scared) to start out all over in a brand new career doing something I absolutely knew nothing about other than being a consumer myself but the idea of doing something so foreign has been about the most exciting thing that has happened to me during the past difficult year.

I make $10 an hr, no benefits, no days off and no hopes for commissions and a vague response on if this is going to change any time in the near future. But took the job (titled Agent Support) because $10 an hr is better than nothing an hr.....right? Not so sure now.

My first day, the Agent should up 45 minutes late to let me in (did not have a key) and it's been downhill ever since. She has not in the 10 weeks that I have worked there worked a full work week ....not one 8 hr day. She will work 6 hrs (or less) on the days she shows up and I am left to run the whole place myself. Which includes marketing, mailers, phone calls, walk-ins, selling, quoting, etc. to include the clerical work that I am suppose to do and I am also the janitor.

This cannot be the standard, right? I am required to have the same licenses as the Agent (was scheduled to take my Life/Health but not going to now that I am out of a job) and be the clerical, janitor, etc. for $10 an hr PERIOD. Literally nothing else....no paid time off, etc. I don't know if I should just throw the license away in the trash and take a job at Wal-Mart or local gas station for the same $10 an hr (minimum wage suppose to increase to $10 this July). There is absolutely no incentive for anyone in their right mind to run someone else's business so they can sit at home and watch t.v. or whatever for this meager of a wage. I have called around and am getting the same vague responses as to what you can earn or they say that is the industry standard....this isn't true is it?

Why are these companies/Agent owners not willing to pay for what they get? There's so much beating around the bush and avoiding giving a direct truthful answer that I have been totally amazed. Like I said I have actually called around and reached out to numerous Agent Support Staff and they tell me basically the same thing obviously some do get treated a little better.

Most people will work their tails off if there is something in it for them too but minimum wage doesn't cut. Am I wrong to feel this way?

As a captive agent who recently made the switch to independent, I can tell you that one of the biggest problems they have is that they get paid too little to fairly compensate their employees. The companies they work for treat them and pay them like support staff, so what they can do for the people they hire is whatever they can manage to squeeze out of that.

My recommendation would be to find an independent agent in your area to work for.

Aram is right. Find a good independent. Sounds like you were with somebody like SF or Allstate.

I appreciate the feedback. This economy is rough on everyone. Being so new I did not know what to do with my license really....there's not many opportunities in my immediate area.

----------

Yeah I was with a AmFam.

I know it sucks to lose a job. but based on what you described, this sounds more like a blessing in disguise than it does a lost job.

Follow the advice you were given above and keep your head up. I think you will find that landing a job with an indy agent isn't as difficult as you might think. And already having a license gives you quite a bit of leverage (most people who inquire about working for an indy agent are not licensed).

Being a captive agent is a challenge. Like Aram said, they have to make a small commission go a long ways. You also have to remember that the agent you work/worked for put tens of thousands of dollars in to opening this agency. They don't just hand them out. So, your agent just lost a huge investment because they were an *** and didn't work their agency. I've seen it numerous times.
Your situation is very common with any captive agency- prepare to be everything for very little. I've met support staff that made less than $10 an hour, who were responsible for the majority of the sales in the agency. On the flip side, the agents don't take a paycheck until they get their sales bonus at the end of the year.
You will be better off with an independent agent.

I appreciate the feedback. This economy is rough on everyone. Being so new I did not know what to do with my license really....there's not many opportunities in my immediate area.

----------

Yeah I was with a AmFam.

You need to create the opportunity by door knocking every INDY agency in your area and asking for a job.

Thanks so much for the comments/suggestions and I agree with the comment that it may be a sign...obviously just a couple of months into this career is not near as bad as if I had really put in blood and sweat for many years and have this outcome.

Things do happen for a reason:) I did want to say that this really is such a complicated job and the individuals that sell insurance whether their captive, indy, support staff, etc. do not get near the credit they should. You have to be somewhat of an attorney, consultant, "sales person", clerical, financial advisor, etc. etc. etc. with so many things that are constantly changing and the economy in shambles .... it's a wonder how some of the "old timers" still have the get up and go to get the sales. Money is a driving force for a lot of things in sales but I truly believe the people aspect certainly also plays just as much of a role otherwise I am sure this type of career could add ten-twenty years to your life. Hats off!

Back