Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance

Reply to Captive Vs Independent     
Old 06-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

State: BShem08 is an Insurance Agent from
Captive Vs Independent Captive Vs Independent
From reading through many threads it's appears that the overwhelming majority prefer going independent over being a captive agent. Why? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Captive Vs Independent
Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #2

State: Sam Adams is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
Captive Vs Independent Re: Captive Vs Independent
What is your experience level?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Guru

State: PhilL is an Insurance Agent from Florida
BShem, Sam's initial question here is a key one. There are several factors in play, as to why agents on the Forums might give you thoughts as to why one choice might be better over another for you currently.

In addition to your experience level, in what State are you intending to sell? Also, for starters, what is your intended mix of P&C and financial type products? Do you have any sales specialties? If mostly P&C, what kind of mix - personal lines to commercial? Will you have a physical location?

Just a few initial questions for you.

Phil Tuccy
http://www.insurancegroupconsulting.com/
Always providing free services to agts seeking Networks, Groups & Alliances
Old 06-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #4

Captive Vs Independent Re: Captive Vs Independent BShem08 is the thread starter for: Captive Vs Independent

Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
BShem, Sam's initial question here is a key one. There are several factors in play, as to why agents on the Forums might give you thoughts as to why one choice might be better over another for you currently.

In addition to your experience level, in what State are you intending to sell? Also, for starters, what is your intended mix of P&C and financial type products? Do you have any sales specialties? If mostly P&C, what kind of mix - personal lines to commercial? Will you have a physical location?

Just a few initial questions for you.
I have been in sales now for 2 years, with State farm. I sale all lines of insurance in PA. I sale a lot of personal lines P&C. That is where I'm best at. I have been working on getting my life and health numbers up. I am going to soon have my own office in a community south of Pittsburgh.

Thanks for your time
Old 06-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
Guru
TampaHound on Captive Vs Independent

State: TampaHound is an Insurance Agent from Florida
I'm a life guy and assume there are some slight differences between P & C and what I do. :P I'm also both "captive" and "Independent." Although I prefer the latter.

During the day I work for a call center where I am a captive agent. I have one or two "1 size fits all" products that I can sell and that's it. The good news is that product X will meet your needs and for many people that's all they want.

My big issue with that is that the "1 size fits all" product really doesn't. Often I have sold X to someone even though I know Y is a better product or Z is a better price.

BUT I CAN'T SINCE I'M CAPTIVE. Because I'm captive I can't tell them Y or Z is the way to go.

Now, at night working my own leads and my own contacts (I don't steal leads for several reasons), if X is the best product then I can sell X. If Y or Z is...then guess what I sell?

I like having options and the client does too. I've had people buy X because they know the name even though they know Y and/or Z is a better option. People buy what they are comfortable with and what they need. Our job is to make sure they have it.

https://easy-feinsurance.com/

And now for something completely different: It's my motorcycle blog!!! Mostly just archived stuff now.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
Guru
shawnmwalker on Captive Vs Independent

State: shawnmwalker is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
  • Higher close ratio (Better batting average)
  • Higher Commissions (Better money on each policy you sell)
  • Better Retention (Keep the client longer and make more residual income off that client)

One more- Much more Commercial opp as indy
BOR is earier as an indy
Better coverages....Captives will tell you different because they went to the Agricultural school...

That's why.

Disadvantages-

Tons more to learn. (Not too bad if you like learning and making money)
Hard entry into Indy.
Do your own marketing. (PAHHH! I have never called Geico or farmers because I like their ads)

Regards,

Shawn M. Walker
Vice President
Premier Group Insurance
www.PGIAgents.com
Captive: Prisoner
Independent: Freedom
Old 06-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #7

Captive Vs Independent Re: Captive Vs Independent BShem08 is the thread starter for: Captive Vs Independent

Originally Posted by shawnmwalker View Post
  • Higher close ratio (Better batting average)
  • Higher Commissions (Better money on each policy you sell)
  • Better Retention (Keep the client longer and make more residual income off that client)

One more- Much more Commercial opp as indy
BOR is earier as an indy
Better coverages....Captives will tell you different because they went to the Agricultural school...

That's why.

Disadvantages-

Tons more to learn. (Not too bad if you like learning and making money)
Hard entry into Indy.
Do your own marketing. (PAHHH! I have never called Geico or farmers because I like their ads)
When you say hard entry. Do you mean financially or because the market is saturated?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
Guru

State: NSRH is an Insurance Agent from Missouri
In my opinion, always start captive and learn on someone else's dime. Find a good local agency for the best support.

After you feel totally and completely comfortable with all aspects of the business, then it's time to CONSIDER going Indy.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
Guru
HoosierLife on Captive Vs Independent

State: HoosierLife is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
HoosierLife is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
I guess it depends on the niche. Here's an article I wrote on the topic for Final Expense:

Captive vs Independent - LearningFE
Reply to Captive Vs Independent 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance