Carrier Appointments and MGAs

gunnar

Hey gang.

Heres my situation. I am 24, i opened up the beginning of this year, in Pennsylvania. I graduated college in May. My parents own a local real estate office so my office is within their building. Perks of this is a rather large network and free rent. I have about 22,000 in premiums so far. I have a background selling mortages and real estate. If your wondering why the switch, I just wanted to pursue something outside the family business on my own.

Smart Choice was the only MGA I could find that would work with me.
I see a few negative comments about MGAs, some particularly about Smart Choice, but so far I am rather happy with them. They helped me get direct with Foremost. On my own I got direct with Progressive and a couple nonstandard Autos.

I have been trying to contact other companies for other markets but it has been rather difficult to even get the right person on the phone to begin the appointment process. They are never in the office and never return their calls. I understand why, high risk new agency, but I feel as if once i explain my situation they should be more willing to work with me.

Bottom line, what im seeking help with:

I have non standard auto, check. I have progressive, check. I have travelers encompass grange for packaged auto and home, check. I need a provider for monoline home as well as auto. Also landlord.

What companies do you suggest I reach out to and how do I go about doing so? Should I explain who am currently appointed by as well as the MGA?

Erie told me they already have representation in my town, which sounded silly to me, they dont want more business? but no matter what i said they were not interested. Westfield will allow me to write packaged products soon. Philadelphia Contributionship has proven to be very difficult to talk to the right person, I call daily to get put into voicemail.

Any comments and tips would be highly appreciated.

Anyone can get Foremost. You don't have much of a choice but to use an MGA. Given you have no experience or premium in the bank. MGAs suck but if you have no alternative it's worth it. Surprising Progressive would appoint you, they usually want at least 200 or 300k on the books. Go back to mortgages you'll make way more money.

Anyone can get Foremost. You don't have much of a choice but to use an MGA. Given you have no experience or premium in the bank. MGAs suck but if you have no alternative it's worth it. Surprising Progressive would appoint you, they usually want at least 200 or 300k on the books. Go back to mortgages you'll make way more money.

Right now I am still balancing mortgages and insurance. So I have the ability to build the Insurance business. But i appreciate the input! Progressive just took some smooth talking.

I'm starting an independent agency from scratch too. I'm in the West Coast.

What non-standards did you have success with getting an appointment?

I've tried Dairyland, and Infinity so far but no responses from them.

Does smart choice have that non-compete clause in their agreement as well not allowing you to get direct appointments for 2 years or so...?

Hold on, hold on....

So Smart Choice got you access to Foremost, trav, encompass, and Grange?

Or Just Foremost?

Also how do you have the access? do you have direct binding authority?

Next, if you have direct binding authority to those carriers why only 22k in WP? How long have you been doing this?

Next, Carriers often don't want more business. Consider what is happening in the industry right now on the auto side. 107% COR projected for the next two years. Insurance is not about maximizing the number of Widgets a carrier can sell all the time. it is about controlling the flow.....

Last, the right group can change everything. they can deliver what you need. They can get you what you need. and change your experience 100%.

Tell me more....tell me a lot more..... How many mortgage brokers are feeding your pipeline? are you giving this all your time and talent, and energy or are you screwing around with it? Sounds like you cant walk away from the mortgage money yet?

Back