Combined Insurance - Opinions Needed !

lacy_amy

Expert
I have recently been approached by Combined Insurance. I read other peoples posts on here with the standard rants and raves about them but I do realize that you can't please everyone and some people don't do well with certain companies. I also do realize that going captive his its advantages and disadvantages. I am trying to make the decision on if I should continue pursuing the opportunity. The pros as I see it are that they have decent training (from what I've heard), benefits, access to orphan policies. I recently finished school for EMT to do on a volunteer basis and the regional manager I talked with said that he wasn't sure I would be able to do both jobs. He also explained commission something like if you sell a policy to an existing customer and the premium is $500 per year you would make 30% and I believe the benchmark is $1500 per week. He also said that I would have to be willing to work 5-6 days per week and work from morning till night so that I can work with seniors and businesses during the day and families at night. I just really wish I could find a company to go captive with initially in which I could get some good training, with some good products, decent comissions and a flexible work schedule. Any comments about Combined or any other companies I might look at?

Re: Combined Insurance

I interviewed with them like 5 years ago, before I was even considering insurance and even before i knew anything about insurance. They look for people that basically can devote 100% of their time. I was told I wasn't a good match because I had family obligations and a very part time job....

I started in Ins sales 10yr ago with Combined... I would say they offer the best training in the industry! That being said I agree with Fisher "be prepared to stay in hotels" and have some huge business expenses!

After 90 days I left due to too much windshield time! It did give me some great experience though.

I have to agree with everyone about the training. The one other thing I would add is that they have revamped the way they do business and are actually paying sales managers salaries and the like. Not that I know enough to say about them one way or the other, but anything anyone has said about them is probably outdated.

Are there any companies out there with good training that won't be looking for me to work 80 hours a week like it seems Combined looks for?????

I just really wish I could find a company to go captive with initially in which I could get some good training, with some good products, decent comissions and a flexible work schedule.

The good news: this business can offer flexibility that is unmatched.

The bad news: it takes a long time to earn it.

Sounds like you're looking for more of a "job". This isn't the best industry for that...

I work as an EMT and own an insurance agency, and it is quite possible. In fact, I've met some of my best clients in the back of an ambulance!

However, you have to see it from their point. If you are captive, which you will be, then it would be very hard for them to enforce their training schedules, etc. on someone that is only available during certain hours.

Are there any companies out there with good training that won't be looking for me to work 80 hours a week like it seems Combined looks for?????

Not for nothing, but a part of good training is practice. If someone claims they can teach you to be successful in this business without you doing a lot of work they are most likely telling you a lie. If you want to avoid a huge time commitment I have to agree with the idea of getting a job rather than working as an agent. If you do want to be an agent, go indy and get your own training and that will probably be as close to what you're looking for as you're going to find.

Back