Commitment Issues

ThinkAndGrowRich

I'm having a hard time commiting 100% to this job. I even hesitated to say "this career" and chose to type "this job" because it implies commitment.

In the morning I feel very inspired to be a great salesperson, but then when I get to the office I'm paralyzed by self-doubts about the direction of my life.

The bottom line is that I want to succeed in this career in order to create an extraordinary financial life for my family. I doubt many others differ in their motivations. It's about the money, obviously, although there is a legitimate service being provided.

On the other hand, perhaps there is a false perception that this career is incompatible with my deeper identity as a more academicly-oriented person. I'm very much into philosophy, psychology, and sociology. I have a particular interest in the effects of financial illiteracy in poorer communities.

Somehow I feel like a fraud, like I'm not "really" a salesperson. Just acting the part. Soon I'll be found out.

What's the deal with these tensions? Is this standard first 90 days sh**? I think I may need some sort of mentoring, or at least need a role model that I can respect and aspire to emulate.

Think and grow rich,

This business of selling life Insurance is an honorable line of work. It is a service that is needed. Just ask any widow who has or has not been the recipient of life Insurance proceeds. Each has a their own unique perspective.

Reading books such as Think and grow rich will help to condition your mind to better handle the ins and outs, and the ups and downs of any sales work.

If you think this is what you want to do, go for it. Find some one to be your mentor and secure a good lead source.

Good luck!

If you don't feel good about yourself and like you're pretending to be a salesperson, that may be exactly the case. There are countless different approches to financial and insurance product sales, you may be trying to use the wrong one for your personality.

See if you can find someone in your office or area who is successful at this that you identify with more on a personality level and think about tackling the business the way they do.

It may be that you're at the wrong firm for you and the culture is counter to what you are looking for.

I am having commitment issues with some of those folks over on the FE forum.. Keep trying to have them committed but it seems all the asylums are full.. especially those down in Georgia. :yes:

I am having commitment issues with some of those folks over on the FE forum.. Keep trying to have them committed but it seems all the asylums are full.. especially those down in Georgia. :yes:

So that's it. When the asylums get full it's easier to escape...and they all seem to go south to my area.

So that's it. When the asylums get full it's easier to escape...and they all seem to go south to my area.

Them's them Boman boys on the move... They are like preachers.. always called to warmer weather for more money... never to the north for half pay.

This career is like courting a woman.

There is a dating stage where you need to discover for yourself if you actually enjoy this work, and as equally important, to discover if you believe in it.

There comes a point where you need to decide if you are committed or not.

If you find out this industry and the pros and cons or working it are not what you love and is not a passion for you, please exit the industry.

This career is like courting a woman.

There is a dating stage where you need to discover for yourself if you actually enjoy this work, and as equally important, to discover if you believe in it.

There comes a point where you need to decide if you are committed or not.

If you find out this industry and the pros and cons or working it are not what you love and is not a passion for you, please exit the industry.

I accidently got her pregnant in the dating stage and now I'm stuck with her. Now what? Is that kind of like assigning commissions? :skeptical:

Back