Which Company to Go With?

dallenInSC

Okay, I know you've heard this a thousand times. I'm new to the Industry. I have passed my L, A & Health State License Exam. I have researched several companies. I have two offers. Am I looking for solid training? Old, established company? What feels right? Help me please...
:goofy:

Okay, I know you've heard this a thousand times. I'm new to the Industry. I have passed my L, A & Health State License Exam. I have researched several companies. I have two offers. Am I looking for solid training? Old, established company? What feels right? Help me please...
:goofy:

Why are you dancing? Geeeeeez...just tell us who and you'll find out what you want to know.

Something you may not realize yet - pretty much everyone wants you. Sales jobs aren't like normal jobs where you have to take what you can get. You've already got your license, you're clearly intelligent enough to use a computer and hold a conversation - you can get lots of job offers.

Mutual of Omaha and Mass Mutual are nice and worth a look because the training is good and you're not going to be super limited to just their product. It's a shorter list of who to avoid than who to go with though to be honest. The biggest part of your decision should be how good you feel about the local office since that's where you'll be working.

The local office... is secondary. (Sorry Al).

What is primary is your MARKET:

- Who do you feel most comfortable marketing products and services to?

- What products would you like to be offering to that market?

- How will you market yourself to that market?

- How will you bring additional value to that market?

If you don't have the answers to those questions... then you're doing it backwards. You don't find a company and then find your market (unfortunately) - unless they are providing leads. You need to determine your market and then find a company to train you on how to work that market.

With a greater than 90% failure rate in this industry... this is how to best go about it.

Here's the trick: DON'T pick the market you "want". If you want to work with rich business owners of $10 million+ annual revenue and 100+ employees... that's nice. But unless you have ACCESS to that market... you won't go very far very fast.

Pick the market you have ACCESS to. Pick a wide market and "major" in their needs. Become known for the problems you solve... not just the tools you sell.

I would pick families with children... or the senior/retiree market... and go from there.

As an agent who got his start with Liberty National, I can say Liberty National gave me excellent preparation. However, the culture has changed tremendously. Liberty National's presence in areas with decent-sized populations has eroded to the point of agency closings. I was fortunate that I decided to go independent two or three years before my old agency was closed for good. It may be in better shape in your area. Talk to the agents there, especially those vets with 15 or more years in the business. They will shoot straight with you.
With respect to PM, I do not know much about them besides the TV ads in the past.
What do you see yourself doing in this industry in 3-5 years? I ask this question because different carriers have different points of emphasis during training; you may want to see whose program best translates into success for you. It may or may not be Lib Nat or PM that can do that for you.
Hopefully I have given you a helpful suggestion or two. Whatever is your chosen path, I wish you luck!

Sorry for acting so stupid. I'm new to insurance sales (FE is my main interest). 30 years in sales mgmt in the car business. My question is: Is it ok and legal to sign with more than one IMO?

Also...I'm in CT. What would the pros on here recommend to work with? I could benefit from maybe product training, lead generation, etc. Not looking for hand holding.

Thank you for any help.

That clears some things up. What would and not be legal as far as IMO's is a contractual issue that differs from state to state; I'm in Alabama, and here it is legal if the contract allows it. Ask Conn. vets about their state.

Back