Conflict of Interest Question

velma8

I work part time for State Farm P&C would this be a conflict of interest if I begin as an independent agent selling commercial insurance in an area that State Farm does not offer products?
Thanks

It would be in your best interest to ask your up line at State Farm so you don't breach your contract.

So, lets assume I tell you it isn't a conflict of interest.

1. What happens if you ask State Farm and/or your agent and they say it is a conflict of interest?
2. You decide not to ask and they later find out and determine that it is a conflict of interest?

I would bet good money that that answer is a BIG YES! Conflict of Interest.

Where does State farm not write in America? Where are they not filed to write?

HOWEVER...What does Part time mean. Are you under any sort of contract with them?

I would bet good money that that answer is a BIG YES! Conflict of Interest.

Where does State farm not write in America? Where are they not filed to write?

I'm pretty sure the OP meant lines. As I understand it, State Farm isn't much for commercial unless it is mom and pop.

What I don't get is why ask us? Showing State Farm a printout of someone on the forum saying it is ok will only get the OP laughed at.

Without a signed statement from at least a VP at State Farm plus the agent, I wouldn't do it. Their argument, and valid one at that, will be that is time you could have spent selling insurance for State Farm.

I work part time for State Farm P&C would this be a conflict of interest if I begin as an independent agent selling commercial insurance in an area that State Farm does not offer products?
You don't work for State Farm, you work for a State Farm agent.

I guarantee whatever agreement you signed with that State Farm agent would preclude this activity.

You don't work for State Farm, you work for a State Farm agent.

I guarantee whatever agreement you signed with that State Farm agent would preclude this activity.

I presume you've read this agreement?

It depends on how part-time, there are agencies that will hire CSRs that work for a captive shop and also at indy shops. There are some obvious concerns, but provided there is full disclosure there doesn't have to be a problem.

Thanks everyone for answering my question, I am an employee of State Farm not and agency. I am part time working in the P&C selling auto, fire and home products. I am new in the insurance arena, and just wanted feedback from the forum because there are so many of you who are gurus in the insurance industry. I really want to sell commercial but I was told I can not at this time.

Back