Custom ID Badge?

I saw someone had one before and thought it was the stupidest idea. I was wrong so I made one with my pic and license info. Very effective. I show it at the door while introducing myself and I noticed that many times, the prospect will glance at it while we sit around the table.

It gives the notion of someone with authority

Guess I am still hung up on this "professional" Image thing that was drilled into me from the beginning.. I always thought wearing that lanyard ID around his neck it made an agent appear to be a magazine salesman. However, what ever makes an agent comfortable and what ever seems to work for an agent is what he/she should do.

He kind of has a point though. If they ask where you got it, what are you going to say?

If you're getting that much questioning you might also rethink your approach. You might want to take a look at the way you're presenting. Odds are anything you bring with you would at best take the edge off, but getting the warm-up done correctly should put most of that to bed. I can't think of a reason why it's a bad idea to bring a copy of your license, but you might be trying to solve a leaky faucet with a nail gun when you need a wrench.

Neither one of those tools worked for fixing my ex wife...:skeptical:

Guess I am still hung up on this "professional" Image thing that was drilled into me from the beginning.. I always thought wearing that lanyard ID around his neck it made an agent appear to be a magazine salesman. However, what ever makes an agent comfortable and what ever seems to work for an agent is what he/she should do.

I actually got my start selling magazines door to door. I didn't wear any ID Badge doing that. But I was only 11-years old.

I actually got my start selling magazines door to door. I didn't wear any ID Badge doing that. But I was only 11-years old.

The first thing I did after I got of the Air Force was sell magazines D2D in las Vegas.. They hired a bunch of young looking people to pose as college students.. We went from town to town and we stayed in motels. I twas kind of an LH deal because they deducted the cost of the motel, transportation, etc. from your paycheck.

They would put us all in a van or station wagon and drop us off in different neighborhoods. They told what time to be back at the pick up point and you better not be late becasue they wouldn't wait for you.

I still remember the initial approach , "Hi.. My name is Louis and I came by to get you to vote for me in the district savings bond contest." Of course then way they "voted" was by buying magazine subscriptions.

The kid that trained me was all of 17. I remember the first door we knocked, the lady told us she wasn't interested and was not buying any magazines.. She must have told him more than a dozen times she didn't want any magazines.. Finally, her husband, who had not said a word, spoke up and said, "Hell, buy something form the kid so he will shut up!".. The sale was a little over $500 annual subscriptions.. Keep in mind this was 1965 so that was a big deal.. :biggrin: We did have ID badges so I guess that is why I think what I do when I see the lanyard.

The first thing I did after I got of the Air Force was sell magazines D2D in las Vegas.. They hired a bunch of young looking people to pose as college students.. We went from town to town and we stayed in motels. I twas kind of an LH deal because they deducted the cost of the motel, transportation, etc. from your paycheck.

They would put us all in a van or station wagon and drop us off in different neighborhoods. They told what time to be back at the pick up point and you better not be late becasue they wouldn't wait for you.

I still remember the initial approach , "Hi.. My name is Louis and I came by to get you to vote for me in the district savings bond contest." Of course then way they "voted" was by buying magazine subscriptions.

The kid that trained me was all of 17. I remember the first door we knocked, the lady told us she wasn't interested and was not buying any magazines.. She must have told him more than a dozen times she didn't want any magazines.. Finally, her husband, who had not said a word, spoke up and said, "Hell, buy something form the kid so he will shut up!".. The sale was a little over $500 annual subscriptions.. Keep in mind this was 1965 so that was a big deal.. :biggrin: We did have ID badges so I guess that is why I think what I do when I see the lanyard.

$500?!! Holy Sheet!

Mine was selling 3-magazine subscriptions bundled with their newspaper bull. It only added 75 cents a week to their paper bill to get 3-magazines and the list included TV Guide, Readers Digest, Look, Rhona Barrett's Stalker Magazine, Popular Mechanics, Playboy, NewsWeek, Life, etc.

Sell 100 of them and you got a round trip Greyhound bus ticket to Orlando, FL and 3-day passes to Disney World. I did it two years in a row.

Can you imagine sending 60 12-year old boys to Disney world on a greyhound bus today with only one adult? Times were different back in the 1960's. Actually that would have been 1972 and 73.

$500?!! Holy Sheet!

Mine was selling 3-magazine subscriptions bundled with their newspaper bull. It only added 75 cents a week to their paper bill to get 3-magazines and the list included TV Guide, Readers Digest, Look, Rhona Barrett's Stalker Magazine, Popular Mechanics, Playboy, NewsWeek, Life, etc.

Sell 100 of them and you got a round trip Greyhound bus ticket to Orlando, FL and 3-day passes to Disney World. I did it two years in a row.

Can you imagine sending 60 12-year old boys to Disney world on a greyhound bus today with only one adult? Times were different back in the 1960's. Actually that would have been 1972 and 73.

The kid was one of the best salesmen I have ever seen.. She would pick one magazine and he would..her, telling her, "I get XX votes if you take this one". The husband just sat there with an amused smile on his face. She had to pay 25% up front.. That was a ton of cash to me.. I had been drawing $24 every two weeks after the allotment I was sending to my dependent mother.

60 12 year olds on a Greyhound? From Ketucianna to Orlando?.... I would not do that now even if we had 12 adults go on the trip! :no:

Back