Efficiently Prospecting Local Small Businesses

newncagent

Expert
First of all, thanks to all of you who provided such good advice and wisdom to the thread I posted yesterday. I feel like a new person.

One piece of advice that I want to actively pursue is talking to small business owners in my local area about group term coverage. I spoke to my agency (AGLA) this morning and they said they offer a VERY competitive worksite term plan and they could really use more policies in this area.

I spoke to my local library today and apparently they have something called a Polk Directory that lists all of the local small businesses and the owner's names. I thought this would be an excellent start toward my list of contacts for my Project 100 package.

Just to add a little background in case you didn't see my thread yesterday - I'm a new agent with no experience and I'm also new to this area in NC. I will be starting with AGLA in a couple weeks and need to have a list of 100 names when I walk in the first day. My hope is that the majority of those names will in fact be good potential leads. I want to succeed right out of the box.

I am going into the home office tomorrow morning and my hope is they have some worksite term literature that I can leave with the business owners as I will try to visit with as many of them as possible before I start with AGLA. My goal is to have them allow me to make an appointment with them when I start with the agency.

Outside of that approach, are there other ways that I can best use my time prospecting small business owners? I know most will be much more interested in health than life, but I only sell life. My hope is that the owner hay have some interest in a permanent policy for himself/herself as well as an interest in either offering the worksite term to the employees or making it available to them. In turn that should get my name out and associated with the value of a good product in a very short time.

Any input will be appreciated. I want to make the most of the time I have available. Thank you!

With a library card in my area you have access to Reference USA which is the same type of info you get with salesgenie.com

Remote Access is the key.

I heard from a guy that knows a guy who is friends with a guy that you can download anywhere from 10-50 per search. This guy also told me that he could download 3000-5000 in an hour and spend another hour scrubbing it. It's a great way to start off, but you didn't hear from me...just a guy!

Yes, I access it through the libraries databases from my computer at home. Great Service because you can narrow your searches down to very specific things, such as # of employees, SIC codes, etc.

I like the "radius" search. I can search businesses within 1/10 of a mile from my prospect, put it on a list, and ask my prospect/client if he knows any of the "neighbors" on the list.

First of all, thanks to all of you who provided such good advice and wisdom to the thread I posted yesterday. I feel like a new person.

One piece of advice that I want to actively pursue is talking to small business owners in my local area about group term coverage. I spoke to my agency (AGLA) this morning and they said they offer a VERY competitive worksite term plan and they could really use more policies in this area.

I spoke to my local library today and apparently they have something called a Polk Directory that lists all of the local small businesses and the owner's names. I thought this would be an excellent start toward my list of contacts for my Project 100 package.

Just to add a little background in case you didn't see my thread yesterday - I'm a new agent with no experience and I'm also new to this area in NC. I will be starting with AGLA in a couple weeks and need to have a list of 100 names when I walk in the first day. My hope is that the majority of those names will in fact be good potential leads. I want to succeed right out of the box.

I am going into the home office tomorrow morning and my hope is they have some worksite term literature that I can leave with the business owners as I will try to visit with as many of them as possible before I start with AGLA. My goal is to have them allow me to make an appointment with them when I start with the agency.

Outside of that approach, are there other ways that I can best use my time prospecting small business owners? I know most will be much more interested in health than life, but I only sell life. My hope is that the owner hay have some interest in a permanent policy for himself/herself as well as an interest in either offering the worksite term to the employees or making it available to them. In turn that should get my name out and associated with the value of a good product in a very short time.

Any input will be appreciated. I want to make the most of the time I have available. Thank you!

I'm not sure, are you wanting to lead in with Worksite or Individual? I think at first you should get appointed and spend this time learning the product. Of course that means in two weeks time you go in with one product an IMHO it is easier to learn Individual Life as in Term or WL then it is to get a good grasp of Worksite programs. I would think AGLA will not want you prospecting their products till you are officially appointed with them, could be wrong about that.

Plus have you ask about a existing book of business with them before you sign any contract and if so how did it go?

Back